Sign in to follow this  
kingpinzs

need help making my 2D map editor

kingpinzs    117
I am trying to make a map editor and right now I am using win 32 api without mfc or .net. My question is wht is the best way to make a map editor for like the user interface? or dose any one have some screen shots of map editor I can look at?

barakus    205
Use C# for a map editor. I wrote a decent DirectX map editor in 2 days with C#.
If you don't know C#, i recommend you learn it as it will make your job much easier than using the traditional Win32 API approach.

kingpinzs    117
that probubly is true but I really dont want manged code. I want to do has much manualy as I can. I just need to figure out how to do the interface.

But thanks for the idea I amy do it if I cant figure out how to make a good interface manualy

evaclear    166
Unless your doing something super wild with your 2d game, or are using the map editor as a learning experiance I don't see much of a need to create one.

Mappy is a 2d editor for tile based games that has alot of flexability. Mappy can do hex, iso, or normal 2d side scrollers. Maps can be saved out in text format, multiple layers are supported as well as animated tiles, flags can be set for tiles so that your application can know to alpha blend them or what not. And some of the newer features do things like import a bitmap image and use that bitmap image as your level. The map editor will create a tile set & then remove all duplicate tiles as well durring this process. http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/7336/robmpy.htm

Code for the 1.3 version of mappy is also available. (Current version is 1.4)