Sign in to follow this  
Shingtime

im so frustrated

im trying to fing a 3d modeling program. i want to make models and put them into the directX format (.x) i do not want to spend thousands of dollars (or even hundreds) i do not want to pirate. blender is not an option for ive been trying to use it for the past 3 months - and while ive certainly learned how to model in it - it has failed me every step of the way in my attempt to get things correctly in the .x format. any suggestions? i would also like to know, in general what programs people use, and what file formats they put their models in when they make games with them - and how they go about doing that. all i want to do is make game content. :-(

In the second blender article the author provided a link for a correct .x file exporter didn’t that help.

AS mentioned look at Milkshape. Also blender seems very capable. I wouldn't give up on it. There's no doubt it can export to .x file. Just tackle the problem and get it sorted out.

Wings3D is absolutely the best free 3d modeler and its got a .X exporter. Easy, free and a bunch of great tutorials. I learned in wings3D, it took me two days to get the hang of it. Compared to my 2 months on blender I was estatic. Good luck!

thanks for the replies.

as for blender. i use that .xporter and here are hte things im currently dealing with in blender: when i view my model in the directX model viewer it is a left/right mirror of what it is in blender. (this also messes up UVs) - i believe this has to do with the left/right coordinate system. anyone know anything about this? also, seemingly random faces end up being backwards (when i view in the model viewer). this probably has to do wth how im modeling, but theres no way to see if a face is backwards in blender.

ive tried milkshape, i may try it again. ill prob try that wings3d first tho.

Maya has a free edition for non commercial use, or perhaps for educational purposes only.It is available from their site.

Quote:
Original post by slowpid
Wings3D is absolutely the best free 3d modeler and its got a .X exporter. Easy, free and a bunch of great tutorials. I learned in wings3D, it took me two days to get the hang of it. Compared to my 2 months on blender I was estatic. Good luck!

the wings3d i just downloaded doesnt have an .x exporter. is it a seperate plugin? where did you get yours?

whoops. Sorry that is my fault. I was working with the directX format but eventually found a way to use the files that were .3ds instead and I got the two mixed up in my head.

Anyways, to convert to .X export your wings file as .3ds or .obj and then use this: http://www.tb-software.com/download.html

That should be correct as the program is a free converter. If nothing else export to a useable milkshape file and use its built in .x exporter (or maybe you already tried this?)

Again, truly sorry about the mix-up.

cool, hopefully with those two options i can get it to work. im at work right now and cant try till i get home.

assuming im able to get a model to .x, where in that process would i apply uv textures (and possibly animations)? can i add these in wings and will they survive thru all the exporting/converting?

Quote:
Original post by Seraphim
Maya has a free edition for non commercial use, or perhaps for educational purposes only.

Maya PLE has no ability to export to .X, or anything else for that matter. It's definitely "For Educational Purposes Only."

AFAIK, Wings3D doesn't do animation. It's a nice modeller, though.

Maya's free edition is pretty shitty. If you are looking for a good trial version get 3dsMax 7.0. The only difference between the trial and the full version are the time limit, there isn't even a watermark on renders. It has a .X exporter pluggin.

As far as free animators go I believe that anim8tor is free but will have to check. Wings has a decent UV unwrapper but files will be saved as .bmp I'm pretty sure. Havn't much experience with it. Sorry.

Good luck!

ok, been working on WINGS. few questions.

when i finally get a model to .x, it is flipped on the x-axis - i believe this has to do with the direction of the directX axis being different than the one in the modeler. I attempted to just flip the model before exporting but tihs ruins the UVs, and causes me to have to make the UV texture backwards (which i find to rediculous to believe is the only way to do this)

the other problem is that i dont know how to export the file, and convert it to .x and have the texture still show up (it currently doesnt, im using rheingold's win3d5 to convert a .3ds file from wings3d into a .x file)

anyone got any info?

I've been using wings a pretty fair amount recently, and I found that using it with Ultimate Unwrap 3D alows you to create some pretty cool looking models. I never was able to get the hang of wings texturing tool.

Here's some models I created in wings and textured in Ultimate Unwrap:

Ultimate Unwrap is $50, so it's relatively inexpensive, and I really like it. It seems to work well with wings, and you can use it to open a .3ds file and then save it as a .x file after you finished texturing it. I can't remember the url offhand... something like unwrap3d.com.

My brother likes to use TrueSpace 5 ($99 I think), here's some models he produced recently with it:

We're both hobbyists, but we've been able to do some cool things by just playing around with cheap tools.

id LOVE to be able to stick with wings. ill def check out Ultimate Unwrap now.

have you experienced the "flipping" im talking about? I see that most of yoru models are symetrical (atleast in those pics) and im unsure if youd be able to tell from them. May the directX exporter from Ultimate UNwrap is just so cool that it takes adjusts the model to the left-handed coordinate system directX uses. (I know its atleast possible because truespace and gamespace do it in their directX exporter.

ya, i tried Gamespace lite last nite. Im fairly confident it can export properly, but MAN, ive gone through so many modeling programs in the last few weeks, i dont want to start over learning how to use another one. like i said, Wings is so friggin easy to use, its such a welcome. I dont want to leave it.

I have not experienced the "flipping" problem... but that's probably because my models are symetrical. If you need to, you should be able to use gamespace to mirror the object. I can also play around with wings a little tonight to see if there is some way to flip it in wings itself.

ya i was able to just "flip on x", and once in directX it looks fine. the only problem comes when i have a UV texture on it. The flip in exporting and the flip in wings cause the texture to become backwards. so far the only thing i can think of is to draw the texture backwards - and i REALLY dont think thats the only solution people have come up wiht in the history of directX game making.

but im confident in the wings -> ultimate unwrap. ill try that tonite hopefully.

doh, ultimate unwrap wont let me save to .x unless i buy it. so lame.

furthermore, my comp died last nite.

i MUST be getting close. lol.

Yeah... I hate that about the Ultimate Unwrap Demo. It is a relatively inexpensive program, but their demo leaves a lot out so you still have to buy it on faith... the other thing that's really nasty about this is they don't give any refunds for any reason what-so-ever. I steered clear of it for months because of this, but when I did eventually suck it up and buy it, it was well worth it.

I have used Ultimate Unrwap 3d a bit, and I like it quite a lot for the little I used it for.

I lost my milshape key, and they don't seem super-helpful about e-mailing me another, so I wanted a program to visualize my lightmap textures on the models.

Also a cool feature of uu3d is the procedural generation of shapes, like stairs, torus, etc. which is not groundbreaking, but a nice little feature.

It also does a nice job of import/export, better than accutrans3d.