im so frustrated

Started by
19 comments, last by SimmerD 18 years, 8 months ago
im trying to fing a 3d modeling program. i want to make models and put them into the directX format (.x) i do not want to spend thousands of dollars (or even hundreds) i do not want to pirate. blender is not an option for ive been trying to use it for the past 3 months - and while ive certainly learned how to model in it - it has failed me every step of the way in my attempt to get things correctly in the .x format. any suggestions? i would also like to know, in general what programs people use, and what file formats they put their models in when they make games with them - and how they go about doing that. all i want to do is make game content. :-(
Advertisement
Have you tries the demo of Milkshape? It's only $25 for the full version.

In the second blender article the author provided a link for a correct .x file exporter didn’t that help.

AS mentioned look at Milkshape. Also blender seems very capable. I wouldn't give up on it. There's no doubt it can export to .x file. Just tackle the problem and get it sorted out.
Wings3D is absolutely the best free 3d modeler and its got a .X exporter. Easy, free and a bunch of great tutorials. I learned in wings3D, it took me two days to get the hang of it. Compared to my 2 months on blender I was estatic. Good luck!
thanks for the replies.

as for blender. i use that .xporter and here are hte things im currently dealing with in blender: when i view my model in the directX model viewer it is a left/right mirror of what it is in blender. (this also messes up UVs) - i believe this has to do with the left/right coordinate system. anyone know anything about this? also, seemingly random faces end up being backwards (when i view in the model viewer). this probably has to do wth how im modeling, but theres no way to see if a face is backwards in blender.

ive tried milkshape, i may try it again. ill prob try that wings3d first tho.

Maya has a free edition for non commercial use, or perhaps for educational purposes only.It is available from their site.
Quote:Original post by slowpid
Wings3D is absolutely the best free 3d modeler and its got a .X exporter. Easy, free and a bunch of great tutorials. I learned in wings3D, it took me two days to get the hang of it. Compared to my 2 months on blender I was estatic. Good luck!

the wings3d i just downloaded doesnt have an .x exporter. is it a seperate plugin? where did you get yours?
whoops. Sorry that is my fault. I was working with the directX format but eventually found a way to use the files that were .3ds instead and I got the two mixed up in my head.

Anyways, to convert to .X export your wings file as .3ds or .obj and then use this: http://www.tb-software.com/download.html

That should be correct as the program is a free converter. If nothing else export to a useable milkshape file and use its built in .x exporter (or maybe you already tried this?)

Again, truly sorry about the mix-up.
cool, hopefully with those two options i can get it to work. im at work right now and cant try till i get home.

assuming im able to get a model to .x, where in that process would i apply uv textures (and possibly animations)? can i add these in wings and will they survive thru all the exporting/converting?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement