STL malignant or benign

Started by
24 comments, last by smr 18 years, 9 months ago
I vote malignant. I can't believe how much people are using different versions of core classes for anything from regular expressions to just common hash tables. It has grounded my development to a hault cause I just can't seem to get compatible libraries for simple things such as a hash table or even the most usefull string class. Definitely a complete pain! Please, feel free to disagree but man I'm upset with the open source community for not having an actual standard set of template classes that are used.
Advertisement
Errrrm.... the STL IS standard. And for stuff it doesn't currently include, most people use Boost. You can be upset with developers for not using them, but I don't think anyone would argue that there isn't "an actual standard set of template classes that are used".
Well, I have boost I donwloaded it and deleted it like ummm about 5 times now and I have Dev-Cpp and I have cygwin and mingw and I also have microsofts version of the C++ stls for VC++ 6 and still I can't get things to compile because of missing headers lots and lots of crappy missing headers.

I've got about zero patience right now so please forgive me!

[edit: and by the way I'm attempting to work with an ogre project right now but I also am having a terrible time with boost, crystalspace, and wxwidgets. Using them in my projects that is.]

[Edited by - 5MinuteGaming on July 19, 2005 3:33:12 PM]
I agree with Sneftel. Your rant sounds like a poster-child argument FOR the STL (and Boost). That way, you can be sure people are coding against the same class interfaces. Beats having to deal with multiple custom implementations...

edit - Well looks like you've got either yourself or VC6 to blame... What are the errors you get, precisely? What headers are missing? Are you sure they are standard C++ headers, or are you relying on obsolete, pre-standardization libraries ... which would rightfully not be provided anymore by C++ vendors as they get superceded by standard libraries? Beware of online tutorials...
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
Well, I have boost I donwloaded it and deleted it like ummm about 5 times now and I have Dev-Cpp and I have cygwin and mingw and I also have microsofts version of the C++ stls for VC++ 6 and still I can't get things to compile because of missing headers lots and lots of crappy missing headers.

So you've approached your build environment in more or less the same manner that an angry monkey would approach a china cabinet. I suggest that rather than continually downloading and deleting stuff, you GET some patience and try to figure out ONE problem at a time.
Sneftel, well my rant has to do with the fact that it seems to work for every other person on the planet but me. Sure they download and compile and ah no problems but not for me.

I have patients to work through each problem that occurs. First I locate the missing file and add it to the include path and then I get a problem with the one I added so I find that missing file and then I get another missing file somewhere else then I get a duplicate definition problem. I must be missing something awefully big cause I shouldn't have to go through and change all the headers of a project like ogre's source in order to get it to compile.
The problem is that you are using an 8 year old compiler with an STL that predates the standardization of STL and does not properly support many constructs required for the STL to function properly.

To fix this, download STLport.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Well if you have a specific problem, make a thread in Programming forum detailing it and there is a very good chance it will get solved.
"The Standard Template Library", commonly abbreviated as "The STL", now known as The Standard C++ Library (which I abbreviate as "The SC++L"), is a well defined standard well supported by the open source community. If you're using GCC 2.95, expect to see some problems - why? Well, GCC 4.0 is out. 2.95 is ancient. It's not the fault of the community as a whole if your distro's mantainers can't be arsed to update the shipped compiler.

You can get GCC 3.4.4 prebuilt for windows via MinGW or Cygwin, both of which support the SC++L quite nicely (well, minus locales on windows) and you can use these to build 4.0 as well.

[Edited by - MaulingMonkey on July 18, 2005 10:51:03 PM]
I'm using gcc 3.4.4 and have cygwin installed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement