OpenGL....Direct3D?

Started by
26 comments, last by HebrewHammer 18 years, 9 months ago
Read the FAQ!
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Advertisement
this may be of help: OpenGL vs DirectX

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
Quote:Original post by xtremeprog05
this may be of help: OpenGL vs DirectX

Eh, that's a really quite bad page.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by bobason456
This may sound dumb but what are the chances that some smart kids could implement openGL 2 on Windows, with out Microsoft getting involved.. or is that just wishful thinking?
I believe Microsoft has indicated native OpenGL 2.0 support for Longhorn.

Then again, that's if and when we finally see Longhorn. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by bobason456
This may sound dumb but what are the chances that some smart kids could implement openGL 2 on Windows, with out Microsoft getting involved.. or is that just wishful thinking?
I believe Microsoft has indicated native OpenGL 2.0 support for Longhorn.

Then again, that's if and when we finally see Longhorn. [smile]

This article only quotes support at the 1.4 spec..:(

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1791683,00.asp

I agree with the early post about using the right tool for the right job. Sometimes OpenGL is preferred, sometimes DirectX/3D...

Quote:Original post by Protocol_0
I would say go with OpenGL. OpenGL has an ARB (Architecture Review Board) with 9 different companies involved. DirectX is just Microsoft. This would mean that OpenGL has more input into how we can improve it for the future.

I'm not a big Microsoft fan, but i'm definitely not a fan of design by committee.

However, if you care about portability OpenGL is the way to go. But remember it's an open graphics language, it's not going to do anything other than graphics for you. If you want to create a window, take input from the keyboard, play sounds, etc. you'll need something else to do it. I'd recommend SDL, it works well with OpenGL.

Also, Wikipedia has a decent page on Direct3D vs OpenGL.
You are very luck this thread hasn't been closed. Usually, OGL vs. DX threads get closed immediately. I think you should go with DX, honestly. It does eveything in a convient pre-written package, while OGL does one thing and you have to write a lot of your own functions.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
thanx everyone, but if i would have known how big of a thing this gets to be I wouldn't have started this thread. I am sticking with DirectX seeing how its my first game, its only going to be for Windows, and Everything pretty much comes in one package. Thanx again!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement