Questions

Started by
2 comments, last by Silver Crescence 18 years, 9 months ago
Well, I have a few questions I hope may be able to be answered. What programming languages should I learn for game development? How long would it take to learn up until the point I can, in which I've been seeing in a few places, "Pong" How long will it take, which I'm sure a while, until I can develop something that can actually be considered a large project. Could you link me to "Noob Friendly" tutorials that will teach me up from the very extreme basics up until advanced, hardcore stuff? What is the best compiler in your opinion? All these are questions that I hope I can find answers for just in my beggining stages of programming. I would appreciate replies. Thank you!
Advertisement
Pick a language and learn it. Start there and worry about the other stuff in a few months.

Any language you pick will be handy, and once you pick one language up, it will be alot easier to learn others.

Some options C++, Java, Python. Pick one, get a book or tutorial, and spend a couple months getting the basics down.

Also consider simply downloading the Flash MX 30 day trial and going through its tutorials. You'll be able to create things very rapidly and easily and get the basic 'idea' of programming.

Check out the sticky links in these forums.

Quote:Original post by Silver Crescence
Well, I have a few questions I hope may be able to be answered.

What programming languages should I learn for game development?

You don't need to learn more than one, but the experience is valuable regardless.

Any number of languages are suitable. Most of us who know better will recommend that you start with something conceptually easier to deal with, which lets you write the parts that describe what you want to do without getting bogged down in details of how it has to happen - i.e. a more "high-level" language, such as Python.

Quote:How long would it take to learn up until the point I can, in which I've been seeing in a few places, "Pong"

I can't predict the future. It also depends on what your standard is for what Pong should look/"feel" like or what technologies are involved.

Quote:How long will it take, which I'm sure a while, until I can develop something that can actually be considered a large project.

Years.

Actually, perhaps never; large projects aren't *done* by individuals. Except maybe Derek Smart. But he's insane. :)

Quote:Could you link me to "Noob Friendly" tutorials that will teach me up from the very extreme basics up until advanced, hardcore stuff?

Not likely. Correct advice generally isn't "noob friendly", and programming is an essentially-difficult task - trying to write things in a way that makes them easier to understand often just adds extra text to read around the same difficult concept. Writing a tutorial that's really about *programming* - rather than a specific language - is probably pretty damned difficult (though I've though about trying it myself anyway).

However:

For Python, try Dive Into Python.

For C++ (because I just "know" you will get into it no matter how many mods and high-rated posters warn you not to), I am fairly impressed by what I've seen of The Correct C++ Tutorial. I heard about it from The C++ FAQ, which is also a good reference.

Quote:What is the best compiler in your opinion?

Doesn't matter.

Also, be aware that some languages aren't "compiled" at all, such that the question is moot. In the case of Python, the code is basically compiled halfway, but there really *is* only one compiler; just use it.

Also, be sure you understand that a compiler is a completely different thing from an IDE. I personally don't like dealing with IDEs in general; using the command line to talk to a compiler is really not that difficult, and it results in a lot fewer configuration/installation headaches. Just be sure that you never, ever try to write code in a *word processor*. That is a completely, utterly different thing from a *text editor*, which is what you must use.

All these are questions that I hope I can find answers for just in my beggining stages of programming. I would appreciate replies.

Thank you!

Thanks alot - I'll check out those links. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement