Maya or Max (industry fave / standard ??)

Started by
16 comments, last by Radioactivebloke 18 years, 8 months ago
well in that case, i would suggest Maya only because its easier for me. But i suppose it all depends on personal preference, but to me mayas interface/actions/hypershade/Uving/Rigging is faster and easier then maxs. But then again i could just be being one-sided =P Good luck with whatever you decide to use, and dont forget to post some of your work! =)
Advertisement
I personally see more power in max, but would certanly learn maya if i'd be a beginner as its easier to adapt to. They are both an industry standard, most professional companies will not require you to use only one, you will more likely see a scentence " experience with max or maya or equalent " in requirements. What to use for portfolio ? Whatever you feel better with.
-----------------------------------
CG art portfolio: juri.sj3d.com
Quote:Original post by d2king10
and dont forget to post some of your work! =)

at the moment i cant post any of the work that ive been doing latly, but my portfolio *a little dated .. with some artwork done over 2 yrs ago when i was new to modeleing / textureing .. so it doest really show my current quality of work* .. can be found here www.crysak.net

note im level designer not a full out artist ^^

Designer - Climax
Few years back Max was the choice for game studios (and still is), because of the much better poly tools compared to Maya though it had better nurbs tools which the movie effects guy prefer, though with each newer version they're almost even in power/features.
They used softimage XSI for HL2s models though guys. :D
And Doom 3 uses Lightwave for its models.
Most companies for game development use 3dsmax.

Most companies for anything else involving 3d (eg Pixar) use Maya.

Max is also making huge strides in its current releases, as it used to be far inferior to Maya in features and power, although... it's catching up fast.
i heard Hudeni (not checked spelling) is used alot over maya in films and such

at the moment im getting my hands dirty in maya and its proving to be a very nice tool, i persoanly prefer it over max, however i still have a love for lightwave, probably because i know it like teh back of my hand compared to max and maya, but i must say maya seems to have some of the best features from lightwave and max

it seems true how it doesnt really matter what program you use, as long as you have the knowledge of modeling, its just a matter of finding out where the corresponding tools are and how to use them in new programs

[Edited by - CrysAk on July 27, 2005 1:10:47 PM]
Designer - Climax
Quote:Original post by videodragon20032003
Most companies for game development use 3dsmax.

Most companies for anything else involving 3d (eg Pixar) use Maya.

Max is also making huge strides in its current releases, as it used to be far inferior to Maya in features and power, although... it's catching up fast.

Movies particularly use Maya (full CGI films)
Max is used for effects in films quite often.
η β π

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement