golf ball v egg

Started by
29 comments, last by Yratelev 18 years, 9 months ago
I tend to agree with the fact they would both stop, but the fact that the egg is more brittle then the golf ball, it would make sense that the conveserved momentium in the egg would not all be directed into the golf ball and instead be divided amoung the pieces of the egg (perhaps not equally) but this would mean that the egg loses its momentimum faster then the golf ball and the golf ball continues on, but at a much less speed...

At first this question reminded me of the age old question...
Which is heavier? A pound of feathers or a pound of lead? :P
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ghosted
No seriously, when the two collide the force acting upon the egg from the golf ball will be larger than that acting the other way.

Not true. If they are both of equal mass (as stated by the original poster) then the impulse force on impact will be the same for both objects. It's just the objects' reaction to those forces that would be different.

I imagine most of the force applied to the egg would result in breaking it and imparting a radial 'outwards' force from the lateral line of the collision.
The forces will be different? Poor Newton, he was wrong all this time...
Well, let's assume that them have equal mass, that we use egg of some bird that have round eggs (yay), or at least axis of egg points in direction of motion, that them are not spinning, that we do it in weightless conditions, etc. Let's assume egg breaks into pieces.

So, we have that:
before:   egg              golf ball   [grin]--->        <---[smile]  (both are moving towards eachother with equal speed and have equal mass)  after:                                  ,^'                               %`~.                                                   <--[smile]     *center of mass of egg-->                                 .",                                 ~,.                         with ball on the left and pieces of egg on the right. (note: it might actually bounce at sufficiently big speed. We need to make experiment)

Note that due to conservation of momentum, center of mass of system is stationary before and after collision.
That is, sum of M*V of every flying piece is 0. (for all directions)
This means that center of mass of egg flies in opposite direction to center of mass of golf ball, with equal speed.(or that both is stationary).
So, center of mass of golf ball "loses" speed as much as as center of mass of egg does. (It is worth mentioning that center of mass of egg could be stationary while parts of egg are flying in opposite directions with big speed)
I think I answered OP's question.

For more specific results(to compute velocity of motion, etc), one need empirical data (i.e. make experiment)

edit: cound not resist to picture egg as "[grin]" and golf ball as "[smile]"
500 mps? I assume you mean miles per second? Bleh, you americans need to learn to use real scientific units. But anyways...

If both objects were travelling at 500 miles per second, the golf ball would most likely *not* remain intact. Just to give you an idea, the space shuttle travels at approximately 8 KM/s when entering orbit... And 500 miles per second is a few hundred times that velocity. An egg might appear quite weak, but at such speed, it would actually have quite alot of kinetic energy (enough to kill anyone that would get hit by it). So just hitting tiny particles of the egg's shell, and the liquid contained in it would squash the golf ball, which would be scattered into multiple fragments.

Assuming the egg has a mass of 0.1kg, that means it has over 32.3 kilojoules of kinetic energy.

Most likely, if you could do this in space, both the egg and the golf ball would be scattered into fragments, which would continue their course in opposed directions. I believe most of the fragments that leave the collision site at greater speed would leave in random trajectories that form a parabolic shape. There would also be slower fragments whose speed has been greatly reduced, and perhaps a few fragments that are almost still at the collision site.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
You must simulate the egg as a collection of small particles, with appropriate forces holding them together until broken by the impact. You could ask the guys who simulated the planetesimal collision that created the moon :)
Yeah, I'll ask 'em when I see 'em tomorrow.
I just did some calculations, and it would seem that the kinetic energy of the egg (assuming a mass of 0.1kg) is the equivalent of 7kgs of TNT. I still say the golf ball is dead ;)

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
I think he mean 500 meters per second (not miles per second).

*********************************************************************************
Indeed with 500 miles per second both ball and egg will evaporate, heck, them will turn into ionised plasma!
One gramm will carry energy
click to see computation (Max, you forgot to square velocity and greatly underestimated the power)
> 300 MJ
For some idea, TNT have energy of 15 5 MJ per KG.
edit: scrap that. Accordinly to
this site , one kg of TNT have energy of bit less than 5MJ. We can assume it's 5.

So explosion will be 20 000 60 000 times more powerful than TNT (1 gram of egg equivalent to 20kg 60kg of TNT), so there will be temperatures around million degrees (I think).

There will be some _strong_ flash, and intense light will evaporate all pieces that would escape direct collision.[grin] Maybe (big maybe) you'll even get some nuclear reactions if egg contains deiterium[grin].

At 500 meters per second, effects will not be so dramatic, but probably golf ball will be damaged somewhat. (maybe even broken into pieces)

[Edited by - Dmytry on July 19, 2005 1:03:50 PM]
Considering the speed of sound is about 340 m/s, we are taking almost match 2, I say at 550 m/2 both the ball and the eggs are pulverized on the impact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement