Sign in to follow this  

2D to 3D Guidance required

This topic is 4528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have completed a 2D pacman game written in turbo C in mode 13h. it was really interesting as the whole graphics routines and animation was programmed without using any library thereby understanding the underlying principles of graphics. I have now learned the basics of 3D and have programmed a rotating cube in C using the 3D rotation formula and as well as using matrix in mode 13h. i now want to make a 3D game similar to f-29 Retaliator, which was a DOS game BUT i DON'T want to use any library like opengl, sdl etc.... i know that it is tough but on the other hand i feel no satisfaction in using readymade libraries. i want to make everything myself!. So any good source to start the similar game? pramod

thanks for the reply. u r right i won't be getting the hardware acceleration but i am not targetting any high end 3d graphics and rendering. it would be the simple one something made out like polygon filling and hidden surface removal.

i have learned about hidden surface removal (HSR) of a cube but that required the cube to be in some particular orienation were any one side is fully hidden.

but in the case like a retaliator many of its sides are partially visible/hidden. i don't know how the HSR work here? is it going to be something called Z-buffering where all polygons are drawn on top of the other in a series?

I don't know much about software 3d rasterisation, but flipcode has alot of articles on the subject, and there's always lamothes book, tricks of the 3d windows game programming gurus, which walks you through the creation of a software renderer.

This topic is 4528 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.