Sign in to follow this  

number suffixes

This topic is 4529 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Not that it really matters, but I was just curious if there is a suffix to show that you are using a short integer. For example..
unsigned long myul = 0UL;
unsigned int myuint = 0U;
float myfloat = 3.0F;
double myDouble = 0.0L;
Are there any other suffixes out there?

C99 has LL and ULL for long longs but other than those I think you've got them all.
The strange thing about them and hexadecimal constants (including it's prefix) is that they're case insensitive.

Quote:
Original post by moeron
double myDouble = 0.0L;

I'm fairly certain that L is long, not double. Double literals are the same as float literals sans the f.

yea I wasn't too sure about whether a double should have an L or not. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. long double == double on my system anyway, but on others it might not, so I'm glad I got that straightened out

Quote:
Not that it really matters, but I was just curious if there is a suffix to show that you are using a short integer.

The C++ standard doesn't define one, so none that you should use. Normal integer literals with no prefix or suffix will only be assigned a type of int or long int, and suffixes only exist to specify a literal is either long or unsigned (l or L, and u or U respectively).

This topic is 4529 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.