Sign in to follow this  

Animated mesh LOD?

This topic is 4532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most of the popular LOD methods are targeted for static meshes (AFAIK), so how about animated meshes (e.g. skinned characters)? Perhaps the easiest way is just build a set of pre-processed LOD meshes, but morphing between 2 LODs of an animated mesh would not be trivial. I've been searching for related materials recently but to no avail. Any pointers? Thanks!

Just use a static mesh LOD method, and boost the importance of vertices where the mesh bends more - e.g. where there is significant contribution from several bones.

Animated models are handled basically the same way as static meshes. An animated mesh has several pre-built LOD meshes, and depending on how far it is from the viewer, a different mesh displays.

This is the only method that I am aware of, and it's probably the cheapest, but, like the saying goes, if you can find a better method, you use it.

Thanks for feedback~

Quote:
Just use a static mesh LOD method, and boost the importance of vertices where the mesh bends more - e.g. where there is significant contribution from several bones.

Hmm, just found this paper which describes more exactly how to "boost the importance of vertices" based on all possible bone transformations. Seems not an easy task :P

Quote:
Animated models are handled basically the same way as static meshes. An animated mesh has several pre-built LOD meshes, and depending on how far it is from the viewer, a different mesh displays.

Okay, but how do you avoid popping when switching LODs?
Say, if you use geomorphing, you'll need to compute target morph positions in every frame (since it's animated). Depending on the LOD scheme being used, this might be very time consuming, and it must be done on the CPU. I haven't tried, don't know if this really hurts.

Building the LOD at runtime for several meshes at once is going to hurt performance.

That said, I don't know how to build the LOD at run-time ;), but I still can't imagine that it'd be cheap, or feasible in realtime situations (ie, in-game) - but I'm certainly willing to take a scientific approach to it - if somebody can point me at a paper that says how to do it and why it's better to calculate LOD at run-time, I'm all for it. Popping is not inherently painful, more LODs can mean that the transformation from one mesh to a lower LOD mesh can be easier on the eyes - it's a question of aesthetics versus performance, isn't it?

This topic is 4532 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.