"Application Failed to Start"

Started by
4 comments, last by Oberon_Command 18 years, 9 months ago
Hey all. Pretty new to coding and I've done all of the it on my Mac before now. Well, today I set about compiling my one complete game (Pong) on Windows XP. My version of Pong uses: OpenGL, GLUT and OpenAL I used Visual C++ Express Beta 2005 to compile it. I had an error which I found out could be fixed by altering a line in glut.h (this may relate to my problem) Anyway, it compiled fine after I changed the line (and I set it to compile in 'Release' mode) and it plays fine on MY computer. I zipped it up with the following dlls: OpenAL32.dll, glut32.dll, Alut.dll (am I missing any?) And asked some people on the internet to try it. And they reported that it didn't start and they got the error: "This application failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem" What could this be due to? Could it be me altering glut.h or is there something I've missed when compiling? Thanks
Advertisement
It would be BETA. Don't use it yet. Try with old C++?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
That message does generally mean that there's a DLL missing. I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with OpenGL at all, so I couldn't say if it's one of those DLLs you're missing or not. It's either that or some Windows runtime library that VC2005 links against.
{[JohnE, Chief Architect and Senior Programmer, Twilight Dragon Media{[+++{GCC/MinGW}+++{Code::Blocks IDE}+++{wxWidgets Cross-Platform Native UI Framework}+++
Quote:Original post by BigDogUK
What could this be due to? Could it be me altering glut.h or is there something I've missed when compiling?

It certainly could be. What changes did you make?

But it seems likely that they are just missing a dll. If you you linked against the dll version of the runtime library, you need to include that file. Which is called msvcp80.dll, and can be found under \Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin by default.
Make sure they have the latest .Net framework 2 Beta.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
You can't run stuff from VC++ 2005 beta on other people's computers, trust me, I've tried. Use Dev-C++ or Code::Blocks instead.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement