Sprite Sheet Creator?

Started by
15 comments, last by bateristt 12 years, 2 months ago
I'm using Poser to create series of images for sprite animation, but each frame is dumped into a seperate file. Is there a program out there that will combine these PNGs with their transparency data, or a method that I could use to combine the PNGs into a single file? Thanks cyric
Advertisement
i don't know any programs that do it automaticly, but you can use an image editing program to combine them together by hand.
-Matt S.
Take a look at ImageMagick. I'm not sure if it will do what you want, but there's so much it will do that I wouldn't be surprised if it did.
Quote:Original post by cyric74
I'm using Poser to create series of images for sprite animation, but each frame is dumped into a seperate file. Is there a program out there that will combine these PNGs with their transparency data, or a method that I could use to combine the PNGs into a single file?

Thanks
cyric

You can try Reiner's Tileset Maker.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by cyric74
I'm using Poser to create series of images for sprite animation, but each frame is dumped into a seperate file. Is there a program out there that will combine these PNGs with their transparency data, or a method that I could use to combine the PNGs into a single file?

Thanks
cyric

You can try Reiner's Tileset Maker.

Oops my link didn't show up. Here is the URL http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/englisch.htm
Tried both the tileset maker and ImageMagick. ImageMagick's 'montage' and Tileset Maker didn't preserve transparency, and Tileset Maker also had trouble with the .PNG format.

Each of my project's characters requires around 250 frames of animated movement, so it isn't realistic to do it by hand (Which I've been doing in Photoshop, but took over an hour for a single figure, and was mind-numbing work).

I can't believe I'm the only person that has needed a fast way to combine a series of PNGs. Will c#'s 'Graphics' or 'Image' classes allow for taking seperate images and putting them together on a single surface, then saving it?
Have you considered looking for a photoshop plugin that might do it? Check a photoshop plug in repository to see if you can find one. Otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to write one (well at least it wouldn't be hard to write on for the GIMP, but I assume photoshop could do the job).
I'd just write a console app to do it. That will also let you add custom features you can make use of, such as forming sets of a particular size, forming powof2 sets if possible, autonaming the sets, keeping a log of set and element size etc. Assuming your needs are as basic as your post suggests, you should be able to pound one out in a day, even if you're unfamiliar with the PNG spec.
Took another look at ImageMagick and it *does* work the way I need it to--their system for setting transparent backgrounds is just very counter-intuitive (you have to use the word 'transparent' in the background color setting instead of RGB numbers like all other colors are.. huh?).

For anyone curious:

montage -background "transparent" -depth 8 -type TrueColorMatte ??.png -geometry 120x120 -tile 8x8 -matte -transparent "transparent" -type TrueColorMatte -depth 8 concat.png

This will take any .pngs in the directory in sequential order (01.png, 02.png, 03.png etc), and send them into a single file called concat.png. I have it set to make each cell 120x120 pixels, and at an 8x8 frame size across the final image. It will store the transparent data from the originals, and it appears to lose no alpha or color information. Very useful and saves *lots* of time when making sprite animation sheets!
I use GraphicsGale to export spritesheets in bitmap formats. I know it does export .png's as well. It's simple, allows alpha transparency and has a free version.

It can be found here: http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/

Mark

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement