Sign in to follow this  
GenuineXP

SDL Sprite Class...?

Thanks to some help earlier, I've got SDL up and running with my IDE (Code::Blocks). Thanks again to those that helped me! :-) Anyway, I was wondering where I could find a library with sprite classes for SDL. I've followed a few tutorials, but I was wondering if a comprehensive library exists. I followed the tutorial for creating a sprite class on Cone3D, but I'd like to be able to use different file formats and omit the "info" file. It would be nice if I could load GIF and PNG files or create an animation from a bitmap. Also, would it be possible to use Win32 API functions to collect bitmap data and then display those bitmaps using SDL? Just curious. :-) Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by GenuineXP
Anyway, I was wondering where I could find a library with sprite classes for SDL. I've followed a few tutorials, but I was wondering if a comprehensive library exists.

I haven't used it, but you could take a look at the Kyra Sprite Engine.

Quote:
I followed the tutorial for creating a sprite class on Cone3D, but I'd like to be able to use different file formats and omit the "info" file. It would be nice if I could load GIF and PNG files or create an animation from a bitmap.

Take a look at SDL_image for laoding from GIF or PNG - it's really easy to use.

Awhile ago I wrote a class that might be useful for sprites, - it has some basic animation in the demo app. You can get it here. I wouldn't use it in production code, as it's just something I threw together in an afternoon, but it might give you some ideas.

Thanks, I'll check out that Kyra Sprite Engine. :-)

Sorry 'bout my stupid bitmap, GIF, and PNG question. I guess next time I should take a look at the functions in the documentation first. :-P

Thanks again.

SDL_image is a separate library than SDL, so it's not covered in the SDL docs. You need to download it separately from SDL.

As for the Win32 API bitmap questions, I don't currently have windows installed on any of my computers, so I can't really help there - sorry.

There's also Spriteworld X, which is a port of the mac sprite library Spriteworld to SDL. It looks like the port is still in alpha, but years ago I did some mac dev with Spriteworld and it was well written and quite powerful.