Legal stuff!!!!

Started by
7 comments, last by Squirm 18 years, 9 months ago
ok im new to this and getting ready to write a game with friends but we would all like to know if there is certain rules to respect while making games.examples this game i use to play had fire and acid tems to various items like a fireshield and all and i wanted to know when we make our ouw game is it legal to use fire and acid on items.the grphics wont look the same but am i aloud to use the name (Shield VS.fire)!! i would also like to know if there is a site or something like that where i can ask questions about this i know this may not be the spot to ask but its to only place i thought i might get a good awnser so plz get back to me ty..
Advertisement
Wait. What? I don't think fire is patented.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Wait. What? I don't think fire is patented.

hehe thats what im trying to figure out i know i can use fire shield but they took the name (Shield VS.Fire) would i have the right to use the same name or would i have to use something like (Fire Shield)

I wouldn't worry about it until you get ready to publish it. You can always go through and change the text later.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by DeahtLetum
ok im new to this and getting ready to write a game with friends but we would all like to know if there is certain rules to respect while making games.examples this game i use to play had fire and acid tems to various items like a fireshield and all and i wanted to know when we make our ouw game is it legal to use fire and acid on items.the grphics wont look the same but am i aloud to use the name (Shield VS.fire)!! i would also like to know if there is a site or something like that where i can ask questions about this i know this may not be the spot to ask but its to only place i thought i might get a good awnser so plz get back to me ty..

I am not too familar with Canadian copyright and patent law, but as long as you don't use their graphics (I believe you said you weren't) or make yours look a lot like theirs you're fine. As a general rule one can't copyright or patent ideas. one can only copyright things like images, logo, and music etc and patent implementations or a specific ways of doing something.
Patrick
ah ok thx for info just dont wanna have to change a big part of the game in the long run cuz its alot a coding and all but thx for info.
Now, if you are using a 'fireshield' that guards against fire, I don't see how anyone could cook up a lawsuit. However, if the game play is the same, the graphics are yours, but look VERY similar, and almost every element of the game is there inculding a VERY similar storyline, THEN you can get in trouble.

Using 'rulesets' to a game, like those in D&D or one of the better systems (Yes, to all you D&D fans, it is NOT the best system :P there are better ones) would also require you to buy/recive the rights. Making up your own that is even inspired on the rule sets would be questionable, and likely require something major that is unique in them to avoid courts.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Well,
If that is the name of the game then I think they could get something on you.(I will ask my step-dad tommorow as he works in the advertising agency and I will report back here tommorow)

So like if the name of the Game is that and you name it that then they could. Now if that is a shield only and stuff like that then NO, they can not do anything like that.

Also,
Ideas can be copyrighted. Most likly they wont but can. Because some game companies don't want a similar story on lots of other games so they might copyright it. Also, just because you put a copy right simbale on something, that just dosen't mean that you own it. You will have to go through the proper Goverment proccess to get it tryly copyrighted I think.(Beauty of having a step-dad in the Advertising Agency. I can go through him to get my stuff copyrighted correctly and everything.)

So,
I will report back here tommorow telling you the true stuff.

Chad
Quote:ah ok thx for info just dont wanna have to change a big part of the game in the long run cuz its alot a coding and all but thx for info.

If changing the name of an item is "alot a coding and all" then you have done something fundamentally wrong . . . for a complete beginner, requiring you to change 1 line of code is OK. With any experience atall it should be data, and not even require a recompilation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement