Legal Issues of Game Develepment

Started by
1 comment, last by Obscure 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm looking into a project that would see a game made and then available for sale on the internet. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a simple break-down of what I can use/do and what I can't use/do if I want to make money from this project. I will be using C++, which causes no problems. A text files for the database (as I thought I might run into legal problems if I used SQL (or one of it's modified programs), Access or Oracle. Where I have the real issue though is with what I use to create the GUI and other graphics. I was looking at the SDL license and think that I'd have to release source code if I used that and wouldn't be able to charge more than the costs of distribution for the game. What about if I used DirectX, Direct3d ... and other Direct constituents? Would I have legal problems then? Can anyone recommend a place where I can read on this stuff without being bogged down with irrelevant information? Finally, are there any other legal issues that I should take note of?
My favourite:" Hi, I'm John Doe Jr. I am 14 years old and I know Perl, PHP, HTML, Java, C, C++, Basic, Fortran, Pascal, Ada, SmallTalk, Lisp/Scheme, Python, Modula, Algol, Simula, Haskell, Forth, Curry, Prolog, SQL, Tcl,..... ..... Sed and Awk. Now I am getting bored, and want to learn another language. Which one should I learn now? "
Advertisement
Get a lawyer. If you don't know that DX is redistributable, if you don't know that you own the copyright to any works created in a Graphics Creation tool, and if you are asking a public forum for legal advice, then a few hundred bucks on a lawyer will be money well spent for you, trust me.

Remember that nothing anyone says here is binding and you have no way of knowing if it's relevant or accurate. As to reading books, you run into the same problems, though they do give you a good foundation for talking to a laywer.

Quote:Original post by Clotty
Where I have the real issue though is with what I use to create the GUI and other graphics. I was looking at the SDL license and think that I'd have to release source code if I used that and wouldn't be able to charge more than the costs of distribution for the game.

Errrr so don't use the SDL license then. Unless you use code or graphics that is released under a specific license as part of your product you don't have to use any license at all - let alone one you don't like. Make you product and sell it. If in doubt talk to a lawyer.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement