Inheritance question

Started by
17 comments, last by Deyja 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I have a base class Object with name, id, a dispose method etc. But when I Inherit it I can't see any of those methods and it won't let me compile saying method doesn't exist. I am using c++ vs2003 and directx. For example my Input class doesn't see the object methods. This is just some psuedocode. Is there any reason why something wouldn't be inherited?

class Object
{
public:
 getName();
}

class Input : public Object
{
 //Whatever in here
}

Input i;

i.getName(); //Error

If you insist on saying "DUH", try to make a post that makes a little more sense
Advertisement
maybe you spelled it wrong? Real code would be nice
I didn't want to post all my code because that would be alot to look through. It doesn't come up in Intellisense. I think it would come up there. The inheritance itself doesn't give a compiler error. All I wanted to know is there any reason why something wouldn't be inherited? Not just in my code but any code?
If you insist on saying "DUH", try to make a post that makes a little more sense
It could be declared private in the base class, or you could have not used public inheritence in the derived class.
Yah I checked that but all the methods I have in the base class are public, and in the child class i have it publicly inherit.
I think i have gotten closer to the error. I have namespaces, so will that cause an inheritance error.

Example
namespace BaseClass{  class Object  {  public:   getName();  }}namespace InputClass{ class Input : public BaseClass::Object {  //Whatever in here }}Input i;i.getName(); //Error

EDIT:: I can use the methods from the base class if it's in the same namespace, but if I inherit in a different namespace i can't. Is there something wrong in my code, or do I need to reference the namespace somehow I thought I was with the class Input : public BaseClass::Object.
no, that doesnt cause errors
Im out of ideas then, how can I see the methods if they are in the same namespace but if its not I can't see the methods. I'm getting ready to go to a different language.
Zip your code or post your class design. You only need the 2 classes.

The base and the inherited. Then show us the implementation.

Its ok to have a lot of code posted.

this code works fine, and they are in different namespaces
#include <iostream>namespace One{    class Test{        public:            int getOne(){                return 550;            }    }; }namespace Two{       class TestTwo : public One::Test{            };    }        int main(){    Two::TestTwo obj;    std::cout << obj.getOne() << std::endl;   }

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement