college

Started by
27 comments, last by njpaul 18 years, 9 months ago
BTW - I disagree that game programming is a different beast. On the contrary, I strongly believe game programming brings together many different areas of Computer Science that are active research areas:

Graphics (Real and non real time)
Networking (Multiplayer, server-client, peer-to-peer)
Operating Systems (Consoles)
Performance and optimizations (SIMD, Multi-Core, Multi-processor)
Distributed Systems (Lightmap farms, build systems, etc)
Physical Based Modeling and Simulation (Animation, physics, etc)

Just to name a few...

Some of the areas require heavy CS background and a solid understanding of Math. Knowing C++ matters very little in most cases, since if you have a solid background you can pick up any language.
Advertisement
Moving to C++ right away is not a bad idea, the bad idea is to choose a College based on the idea of learning a specific languages. Surprisingly enough there are schools that offer Bachelors and Masters degrees with focus on C++ programming.
And what exactly do you mean learning computer science...that throws me off..
Quote:Original post by marky03
Is it a bad idea to just skip right to c++? I mean i am taking VB in school, but not for gaming. Just App programming. But id rather move on right to c++ instead of screwing around wiht other languages.

As SpoonBender says, it's important to have a strong computer science foundation first, then worry about languages. If you're studying with VB in school now, I would stick with it and learn about program structure, because most languages are pretty similar in that area, with major differences being syntax. It's always good to know the WHY to do something before the HOW. Keeping with VB will allow you to concentrate on the bigger scope of programming, since you can ask your teacher questions. Trying to learn VB and C++ at the same time, without that foundation might be difficult and confusing.

As for your original question, there are technical and institutional colleges offering game design degrees popping up everywhere these days. Depending on where you are, you may have to relocate, so a BS in CS might be what you want to look into for post-high school education.

:stylin:
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Computer Science

n : the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures [syn: computing]

A Bachelors in Computer Science will give you a solid foundation on:
Programming concepts
Programming Languages
Operating Systems
Logic
Math (Usually CS requires Calculus)
Data Structures
Algorithms

Some electives in most CS programs:
Graphics
Networking
Distributed Systems
AI
Compilers
etc

I believe taking College classes before you graduate form HS to learn different technologies is a good idea, you can take some C++ classes if that is what you want. What I do not think is a good idea is to choose a BS or AS program on a College or University after you graduate from HS, based on wether or not the school offers C++ courses, or even a C++ degree.
Quote:Original post by ldeej
BTW - I disagree that game programming is a different beast. On the contrary, I strongly believe game programming brings together many different areas of Computer Science that are active research areas:

Graphics (Real and non real time)
Networking (Multiplayer, server-client, peer-to-peer)
Operating Systems (Consoles)
Performance and optimizations (SIMD, Multi-Core, Multi-processor)
Distributed Systems (Lightmap farms, build systems, etc)
Physical Based Modeling and Simulation (Animation, physics, etc)

Just to name a few...

Some of the areas require heavy CS background and a solid understanding of Math. Knowing C++ matters very little in most cases, since if you have a solid background you can pick up any language.

I'm only making the point that writing an application can be hard, but writing a computer game can be damn near impossible. What you said is so true. It's many areas of computer science. But that's what makes it different. I can write an entire database application and probably not have to worry about bitwise logic or assembly. Programming games requires in-depth knowledge.

I guess saying that it's a different beast is inaccurate. I just think that in most cases, it's a tougher beast to kill ;-)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Do NOT enroll with any of the Art Institutes for Game Art Design or Visual Game Programming. I switched to the game Programming major here in Atlanta recently and the courses they have are incredibly useless. I'm not sure about whether or not you will need a Computer Science degree, but from the last few posts I'd say it's a good idea. I'm surprised no one has mentioned learning an API though. An API is just as important as the language you're using to me it seems, especially for 3D games. I've taken a stab at openGL and didn't really like it because there weren't very many GOOD tutorials online and it seemed like a real hassle just to create an openGL window to display graphics. DirectX has SO MUCH MORE documentation and tutorials online however and I've purchased a few books on it and am pleased with what I have now.

But just remember not to go to an Art Institute for programming and make the mistake I did.
Quote:Original post by coderx75
I guess saying that it's a different beast is inaccurate. I just think that in most cases, it's a tougher beast to kill ;-)

I've seen a flame-war about that not-so-long-ago around here... (*searching for a link to post*) :/

@marky03:
the folks saying that it's better to stick with paradigms and techniques than languages are 100% right. But I can see your point though.

At my Uni, first two semesters we only used Scheme, then one semester with Smalltalk. And then They magically assumed we all know C, and - knowing C and Smalltalk - they can teach us C++ in 1 month... Well, it was good to know C a bit back then. But later it was only "I don't care. Just pick a language and make the damn project!".

So go, learn C, C++, write programms. But only for your personal knowledge. They hardly will teach you something so common as C/C++ (well, maybe some basics). They will be forcing into you all the knowledge that is hard to gain on your own (mainly: math and programming paradigms). All the rest, including language, is your personal choice.
Quote:Original post by infernosnow
Do NOT enroll with any of the Art Institutes for Game Art Design or Visual Game Programming. I switched to the game Programming major here in Atlanta recently and the courses they have are incredibly useless. ... But just remember not to go to an Art Institute for programming and make the mistake I did.

Sorry to hear the courses in the school you are going to are not very good. I wouldn't rule all art institutes or design colleges out totally just because of one poor implemenation.

I think it would help the OP to have some reasons as to why you think those classes are "incredibly useless", and I'm curious myself.

:stylin:
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
Personally I'd suggest getting a full CS degree. For no other reason as you would be better suited to get a job as a programmer in any field, not just game developement.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement