college

Started by
27 comments, last by njpaul 18 years, 9 months ago
Does anyone know a college that mainly teaches c++ game programming, but also a second one? Such as java.
Advertisement
If you are asking this because you want to become a game programmer, you are better off having a solid Computer Science background. If you understand the CS basics (data structures, algorithms, programming, etc) well picking up a language is not that difficult.
Just when i get out of highschool, thats exactly what i want to do. Game programming in c++..one college, beck college has you take math and science courses first..
Are you currently in high school? It's a lot better to know such things before going into college. If you I think you should start with CS and possibly programming right away. If you're not in high school yet, then would be a good time start.
Im going into 10th grade and have had interest since 7th or 8th. For this, for what i want to do, where should i start. Ive been learning blitz basic, which is for games, and it has basic and C combined...but its not as strong as c++ ONE BIT. Ive trie dplaying with c++ and man, biigggg difference.
College will give you some ideas for game programming... but game programming is an entirely different beast than conventional app programming. Do what you're doing and if you're REALLY interested, you'll learn C++ along the way. As for college, all I can say is that it will teach you how to structure code and data at a basic level. This stuff is important but you'll have to figure out game programming on your own. I think the game programming courses that they're beginning to offer is a waste of time and money but that's just my opinion. Nothing beats experience (hands-on) and combing gamedev forums for info ;-)
Quit screwin' around! - Brock Samson
Start learning C,C++,Java now and probably C#. Mostly because CS program in most college and university will use those language to teach you Computer science concepts and theory. If you get an early start on these while you're still in high school then it will help quite a bit when you enter college/university. Put game aside until you learn enough of the science side, then you can start into game. That's how I would do it if I have a chance to do that, but I started programming when I enter the university. Not too bad but I just have more things that I need to learn in a short time. If you're set for computer science then start learning, as it's one of the fast growing field (dynamically growing and changing), and you have a lot to learn and keep learning as it grow.
Start now. I'm 10th grade also, and I started when I was in grade 4 (I think. I was 9). It's never too early to start programming, and if you start now, then you'll be ahead when you get to college. Keep going with Blitz, then move on to C++ as soon as you feel ready.
As Ideej said, don't worry about this specific language. Make sure you get a decent computer science background, and you can pick up C++ along the way.
And don't choose the college based on which languages they teach, because the language means *nothing*.
If they teach you some decent CS, you'll be able to pick up C++ in your lunch break, and you'll end up a much better programmer than if you choose a college which actually focuses on C++ rather than CS.
Is it a bad idea to just skip right to c++? I mean i am taking VB in school, but not for gaming. Just App programming. But id rather move on right to c++ instead of screwing around wiht other languages.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement