Sign in to follow this  
Very_Metal

UVW mapping

Very_Metal    122
hi all can anyone recommend any tutorials on UVW mapping please? i'm getting stuck in, trying to imrove my skills over summer for the last uni year and i pretty much suck at this. specifically, the technique where you unfold the actual mesh and use planar maps to generate the uvw's. i can get it working to a point, but when i turn off the extra "edit mesh"s, etc that i added to flatten it all out, the mapping goes haywire and seems to ignore the UVW's. any help is much appreciated, thanks!

Lucidium    122
It sounds like you're using 3DSM.

In that case, you shouldn't be using any edit mesh's to select faces.

The "Unwrap UVW" modifier has a "select faces" option inside it. Just open it up with the "+" button on it and click on "select faces".
Then, select a group of faces you want to have together in the texture map and click on the "Planar Map" in the modifier's rollout. Do this for all the faces on your object, and you should have nice, separate groups in your UVW map.

Hope that helps. I could give you more detailed help if you need it.

Very_Metal    122
hi, yes, i'm using 3ds max.

i know my way around the UVW editor ok, but we were shown a technique where the guy unfolded his mesh by adding axtra "edit mesh" modifiers to the stack and flattened everything down, he then used texporter to generate his base image.

that method just makes more sense to me and i'd like to get it right so that i don't hide weeping in a cupboard whenever i'm faced with doing UVW's ;)

Lucidium    122
Do you mean he actually changed the shape of the model? Because that sounds like a terribly messy way to texture something.
If you're just using edit mesh to select things. I'm guessing you do something like this:
Select some faces with edit mesh, map them with UVW map, repeat until you've done all the faces, then stick a UVW unwrap on top of it all.
Are you making sure you save the UVW map before you delete your edit mesh's? Other than that, I can't think what the problem would be.

If you're set on using texporter, then you might as well just read some tutorials.
I don't use texporter myself, so I can't really help more than that.

RJD_Geosphere    122
Kinda unclear to me. Are you trying to get multiple images in unwrap working??? Shouldn't have a problem with unwrap it's quite simple to organize. All u need is unwrap on the mesh and then select a face (in the unwrap modifer)click on planar map and move the faces u want textured to the texture. If you want more than one image to use u just click the number u want in map channels.

edit: I use editable polys since they are more powerful not sure what your question is. :( .

[Edited by - RJD_Geosphere on July 25, 2005 2:18:40 PM]