Sign in to follow this  

Complete n00b Guide (3dsmax 7)

This topic is 4515 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i've just got this program (3d Studio Max 7) and am looking to learn some of it's basic features and was wondering if anyone knows of any locations for a complete n00b guide to the 3d studio max series, or specifically version 7. I'm looking for something that tells you what basic tools do to start me off modeling. I have some experience modeling, but only in Bryce and Hammer (half-life mapping program), so i kinda know what i'm doing, but the interface for max is new to me, so any help offered is greatly appreciated. I eventually want to go onto texturing in max, not so much modeling, but i think learning modeling will help that goal in the long run. I'm greatly experienced at Photoshop etc, so no need to learn anything to do with that as far as texturing goes, incase someone wanted to point that out. I've also found some tutorials for the above, but nothing that i'd consider "n00b" standard, and i have also checked "www.google.com" incase someone felt like directing me there ;) I'm also aware that 3dsmax might not be the best program to start out with, when learning the above, but i'm also the kind of person who learns fast and catches on to the basics of programs fast, usually without tutorials, but all modeling programs i've tried in the past have always been beyond me in terms of the trial and error approach to learning a program. Thanks for any help offer (that is actually useful) ;)

You're unlikely to find a good tutorial for 3ds max 7, simply because most people who are n00bs are unlikely to plop down hundreds of dollars for a modelling program. Doesn't it come with a "getting started" DVD, though?

I actually used the evaluation version recently and the step by step tutorials (found by going to menu item Help>Tutorials) that are included in the download section of the website worked pretty well for me. They go from familiarizing you with the interface to modeling, applying materials, etc.. If you have the complete version I guess those tutorials should be on your CD or DVD.

BTW, I had never used the program. So I guess they should work for you too. [smile]

Hi Ki,
If you poke around for the "Joan of Arc" modeling tutorial on 3dtotal.com, that's a great start for modeling in Max. Also, have a look at Inside 3D Studio Max. It serves as a great reference for many of Max's features. If you prefer the video tutor, have a look at "simplymax.com" for some learning DVDs and such.

Happy Modeling

E.

I'd say absolutely try out the help tutorials that came with the download/package. Also, I'm with FIRST Robotics, and they gave us a cool link with a video tutorial from Ted Boardman. He knows his stuff, and will walk you through how to do certain things.

Here's the link: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=1047962

It's at the bottom of the page, and shows how to do some cool stuff. He assumes you know nothing, which is probably the best case scenario for a beginner. I've met this guy, and he's cool... just try not to get distracted by the beard :)

I've recently been learning some of the more advanced aspects of 3ds max from the video tutorials on www.3dbuzz.com. The tutorials range from an introduction to the program to modelling a full character. Also, nothing is cut out of the tutorials, so you can see exactly how a particular result is achieved. You have to be a member to download them, but it's completely free to join (at least it was when I joined a while back). I'd definitely recommend them.

PS. I think most of the tutorials for 3ds max are done in version 6, but there's very little difference in general between 6 and 7.

sry took so long for me to reply again to this thread, just had other things on my mind and kept forgetting to check back :)

for some reason unknown to me, the evaluation of max i downloaded didn't have the tutorials under the help menu... it had the option, just it didn't work???

Anyway, thanks to what everyone has said and suggested and everything, i will be checking them out shortly, but i have been told that gmax is a much easier program to start out on and is basically a dumbed down version of max, and i have some tutorials for that as well, plus it's free so it won't expire on me while i try learning ;)

again, thanks for all the help, and i'll be checking them out, even if i decide to side with gmax :D

This topic is 4515 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.