• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mercenarey

OpenGL Shader API - which should I choose? HLSL, Cg or GLSL?

This topic is 4957 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I alwyas thought CG = HLSL? they just change the name for directx? I can't remember where I heard that so im probably mistaken

-THACO

Quote:
Original post by Mercenarey
why isn't it portable?
the easiest answer is: because belonts to nvidia.

Quote:
Original post by stroma
Quote:
Original post by Mercenarey
why isn't it portable?
the easiest answer is: because belonts to nvidia.

It is perfectly portable across API's, OS's, and graphics cards. As I said earlier though, portability across the SM3 range of cards will probably suffer in the future as the asm interfaces won't be updated. Just because it's created and managed by nVidia is totally irrelevant.

Cg is more like HLSL for OpenGL...nVidia actually recommend HLSL over Cg for DX apps. For OpenGL apps its upto you, GLSL is just a new face to Cg on NV drivers.

But, i use Cg :D ... its more consistant atm, but i will change to GLSL/HLSL later, GLSL is just too inconsistant between graphics cards atm, probably in its major release (like 1.2 or something) i will convert back.

-Twixn-

There are a few differences between Cg and HLSL...but its only a few of the library functions.

-Twixn-

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!