Sign in to follow this  
Clotty

Would like advice

Firstly, I think I should warn you this is quite a long post ... I'm learning C++ and would say I'm bordering the beginner/intermiediate line. Once I get conpetent I'm going to attempt to make my first decent game, a football management simulation. I'd say I'm half-way there. I'm progressing steadily and am beginning to picture mental images of how things could piece together. However, I have some questions that have arose in my learning. I'll split this into seven different sections. Part 1 - The Database: Obviously, for a soccer management game I'll need a stable database and I was thinking what database utilities would you recommend me to go into? SQL? Oracle? Then the question is how hard would it be to learn? Are there any other suggestions on how I could (or should) build the database. I was also thinking of just using .txt files and using file input/output. It would be a lot simpler and easier for others to go in and edit the in-game database themselves. Do you think this would be a good option to take instead? Part 2 - Graphical User Interface: The other question I have is where to learn about building a GUI for my game and what would be the best language to use? Again, how difficult can this be to learn? I was thinking of using OpenGL, SDL or DirectX as opposed to Win32 or something like that. Graphically speaking, I'd be able to achieve a lot more. What do you recommend? Part 3 - The Game Engine: The most difficult thing I think the game will bring will be programming the match engine, especially if it's going to be in 2D, like I would eventually hope (otherwise it will just be a running commentary). I expect to start with I'll just use commentary or even just a generated match result. I already have source code on the commentary (i.e a list different possible statements to print in every situation) Any suggestions on how I could tackle this? The actual programming of how each player responds it particularly what I'm worried about. Part 4 - Assembling a team?: Finally, I have expectations to really get this simulation to a good standard. Would you recommend that I get some other people to work with me on this project so we can spilt up the tasks. Maybe someone would work on the GUI, someone else organizing the databse and another person coding the actual game (with the others helping complete this task when their assignments have been finished) - something like that anyway. Part 5 - The graphics: I doubt a football management simulation is going to require a lot of graphics, but if I used a 2D match engine, I think I would need to use one. What would you recommend? SDL? OpenGL? DirectX? How difficult will this be, roughly? And this match engine brings me to another section ... Part 6 - The AI: I need to look into the AI for not only the match engine, but also the computer's handling of non-user managed teams. I don't know much about the AI so any general comments about this would be appreaciated greatly. Part seven has skipped my mind ... maybe it will come back to me and I'll post it afterwards. Also, tutorials, articles and any generally relevant addition information would be recieved gladly along with any other general feedback. Thanks in advance.

Don't use text files, you'll save on space and loading time. If you want to facilitate your users the ability to change the files themselfs, make a small file editor, or not to waste much time, just create a converter, that takes .txt(xml, html, ...) files and converts them to the format used in the game.

Then again, this is all very much secondary, so if getting the ball rolling is more important, by all means use .txt's, later if you need to use binary files just make the converter.

I remembered the last part ...

Part 7 - Legal Issues:

I know that there are serious legal considerations to take into account with something like this. And I just wondered what my rights would be generally ... if it was freeware or if I decided it was good enough to sell. What programs can't I use if I want to sell this or don't want to release source code? Do any of you know much about the player rights aswell? I couldn't use real player names legally, without permission from whoever owns them ... could I?

Please... feedback it wanted.