So I'm starting up some SDL tutorials.

Started by
4 comments, last by Rob Loach 18 years, 9 months ago
So far I've finished 2 tutorials. How to set up SDL(only the Dev C++ portion is finished): Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials Surface loading and blitting: Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials I'm currently working on the how to use an extension library (SDL_image, SDL_mixer, etc) tutorial. My aim is to make simple, newbie friendly tutorials. anybody have any suggestions/comments? oh and 'scuse the fugly layout. I've been working so hard to get the tutorials up I didn't have time to make my site not look like ass. [Edited by - Lazy Foo on August 9, 2007 7:47:03 PM]

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
Please include how to get it setup with Code::Blocks. It isn't hard to set up on that compiler but there is a workaround that has to be done or you won't be able to use std out for some reason. If you need details on how to set it up just PM me. Or AIM (tstrimpabc) or yahoo (t_strimp) or MSN (t_strimp@hotmail.com).
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Please include how to get it setup with Code::Blocks. It isn't hard to set up on that compiler but there is a workaround that has to be done or you won't be able to use std out for some reason. If you need details on how to set it up just PM me. Or AIM (tstrimpabc) or yahoo (t_strimp) or MSN (t_strimp@hotmail.com).

I'll make sure to do that.

I plan to get all the platform/compiler independent stuff finished first, the do all the platform/compiler specific stuff( which is basically only the "Setting Up SDL" tutorial and the "extension library" tutorial ).

Writing tutorials isn't as easy as it seems, also, you have to figure out who it will benifit.

Are you planning on doing a pure overview of the API, or are you going to include details on how you would impliment new elements into a game?

Not to start a turf war or anything, but you might want to check out my series, and see if you aren't wasting your time. If you think that you can fill in some gaps that I missed, then go right ahead.

Cornerstone SDL Tutorials

Again, not a turf war, but I would hate to have you reinvent the wheel on your self.

edit: I looked at your last tutorial. That was some nice and easy to read source code, but I think that the general oppinion around here is that hiding the tutorial inside of a fully working source file is more of a hinderance than a help, especialy if you are using the tutorial as a refrence as well.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
Writing tutorials isn't as easy as it seems, also, you have to figure out who it will benifit.

Are you planning on doing a pure overview of the API, or are you going to include details on how you would impliment new elements into a game?

Not to start a turf war or anything, but you might want to check out my series, and see if you aren't wasting your time. If you think that you can fill in some gaps that I missed, then go right ahead.

Cornerstone SDL Tutorials

Again, not a turf war, but I would hate to have you reinvent the wheel on your self.

You to your way, I'll teach my way. [wink]

Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
edit: I looked at your last tutorial. That was some nice and easy to read source code, but I think that the general oppinion around here is that hiding the tutorial inside of a fully working source file is more of a hinderance than a help, especialy if you are using the tutorial as a refrence as well.

I'll only do that in 2nd and 4th tutorials, because its easier to see how the program flows if the entire thing is infront of you.

After the 4th I'll just put the portions of the code that are important to the program. By then the user already knows how the programs flow.

Aaron Cox has some nice tutorials going over at his site covering not only the API, but some basic arcade games as well. You might want to check them out.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement