Song use / legal issue

Started by
52 comments, last by krikkit 18 years, 9 months ago
Ok, say I'm making a RPG (which I am, psych!), and I decide to throw some megadeth, iron maiden, and metallica songs into my game to make it totally rock! ...uh, do I have to pay them royalties if I put their songs in my game, and I sell my game to other people? I mean, I'm not selling their songs, I'm selling my game with their songs in it. what if I mention their names or something? How does this whole legal thing work? Thanks, Gardon
Advertisement
You can't just "throw in some songs" that you don't have the right to use. Of course you could buy the rights to do so, but that would be a lot of work and quite expensive.
If you want to use any form of music other than your own, you must first obtain a release contract or a license agreement to that music.
If you don't, you can be up for hefty fee from music copyright protection organisations such as the RIAA or be sued by the copyright holder of that music.
Generally, trying to obtain either of these for commercial music can be both difficult and expensive in the long run. If you've got the funding and the time, I'd say go for it! However, if you're an individual producer creating developments off your own back without much in the way of funding or backing, you're probably better off searching for non-commercial music artist or an music auter working outside of the record company.
.:: Cmaza.NET ::.
Dang... is that why there's never any cool music in games thesedays? (usually no music, but you know, whatever).

This sucks. I really wanted ironmaiden songs in my game. God damnit

Gardon
what if I was just selling my game around school and stuff? you think I'd get busted? Should I try it, lol?

Gardon
what if I were to play their songs as a cover on the guitar (quite possible), like a cover for a band, but it'd be me, and I'd record myself playing it

Could they charge me then?

Gardon
No, but it would be cheaper. That's assuming they'd license their music to you, which they wouldn't.
No, you can't use copyrighted songs without the copyright holder's permission. And in Metallica's case, they will most definitely not allow you to use their music, as they already hate file-sharing as it is. Your best bet is to find some independent artist who's music you like, and ask them for permission to redistribute their music as part of a game you created (note that if you're selling this game for money, they'll say no if you don' give them a cut or your game sucks).

So, for example, I decided that I really like the music that The Black Lotus puts out (great demo scene group), so I asked them if I could use their music in a non-commercial, open-source game. The guy said sure, as long as I gave him my full name and address. Easy as that. Just make sure you keep all this documented somewhere, because if they decide to become asses in the future, then you can just show them the documentation and give them the finger.
Fuck, I should just take my chances and sell it anyways lol.

Today in this age everything is a legal outfit. Lawyers are suing people up the butt left and right about stuff that is so pathetic.

Without ironmaiden in my music for my game, it's totally worthless (by the way, the battle scenes rocking out to iron maiden really kick ass).

Thanks,

Gardon
Quote:Original post by Gardon
Lawyers are suing people up the butt left and right about stuff that is so pathetic.

That's probably a good reason NOT to go again and sell it without the authors permission.

Also, I think it's a bit unfair of you to generalise that using any form of using other than Iron Maiden will make your game suck.

If you did a bit of looking, a bit of sucking up and gave a bit more information about your game, you'll find there's dozens of very talented small independants out there that would be willing to offer you their valuable help.
.:: Cmaza.NET ::.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement