Factorising quadratic trinomials where the coefficient of X^2 is not 1

Started by
15 comments, last by Zahlman 18 years, 8 months ago
Ok, i'm factorising quadratic trinomials, and i want to find a really fast way to do it. (i would also like to know how to do it without using guess and check.) What i want to know, is what is the fastest way to do this? From, Nice coder [Edited by - Nice Coder on July 23, 2005 10:41:21 PM]
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
If you tell us what method you are using then we could tell you if faster ways exist.
Private Sub Form_Load()Dim t As IntegerDim u As Integertim = TimerOpen "C:\Q.txt" For Input As #1Open "C:\A.txt" For Output As #2Do Until EOF(1)Input #1, tInput #1, uPrint #2, "=X^2 " & IIf(t >= 0, "+ ", "- ") & IIf(Abs(t) <> 1, Abs(t), "") & "X " & IIf(u >= 0, "+ ", "- ") & Abs(u)lim = 10DoFor x = -lim To limFor y = -lim To lims = x + yp = x * yDoEventsIf s = t And p = u Then    Print #2, "=(X " & IIf(x >= 0, "+ ", "- ") & Abs(x) & ")(X " & IIf(y >= 0, "+ ", "- ") & Abs(y) & ")"    GoTo nextnum:End IfNext yNext xlim = lim * 2Loopnextnum:Print #2, ""LoopClose #1Print #2, "Time required: " & Timer - timClose #2EndEnd Sub

Thats my code so far.
Its now currently at 0.0032552083 seconds per node. (Which is fast, but we can do better!)

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Your timing method includes time spent on outputting the diagnostic messages. I/O is really slow stuff.
Hmm, yes.

But is there anything faster? (ie. for the algorithm?)

Also, if the coefficient of X^2 is not 1, how would i factorise them?

From,
NIce coder

[Edited by - Nice Coder on July 23, 2005 10:13:08 PM]
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
Hmm, yes.

But is there anything faster? (ie. for the algorithm?)

Actually use the quadratic formula perhaps? (which would be a hell of a lot more general, too)

Quote:Also, if the coefficient of X^2 is not 1, how would i factorise them?

Just divide through by said coefficient first (and list it as a separate constant factor in the result); a constant factor will not affect where the roots are.
No promises that I didn't screw any of this up.

The math:
(a*x+f)*(x+e)=a*x*x+b*x+c
e=b/a/2+sqrt(b*b-(4*a*c))/a/2
f=c/e

A program:
#include <iostream>#include <complex>#include <string>#include <sstream>std::string comp(const std::complex<double> &var) {  std::stringstream stream;    if(var.real() && var.imag())   {    stream << "(" << var.real();        if(var.imag() >= 0)     stream << '+' << var.imag() << "i)";    else stream << var.imag() << "i)";   }  else if(var.imag())   {    if(var.imag() >= 0)     stream << var.imag() << "i";    else stream << var.imag() << "i";   }  else if(var.real())   stream << var.real();    return stream.str(); }std::string mult(const std::string &a, const std::string &b) {  if(a.empty())   return a;  else if(a == "1")   return b;  else return a + "*" + b; }std::string add(const std::string &a, const std::string &b) {  if(a.empty())   {    if(b.empty())     return "0";    else return b;   }  else if(b.empty())   return a;  else if(b[0] == '-')   return a+"-"+(b.c_str()+1);  else return a + "+" + b; }int main() {  std::complex<double> a, b, c;    std::cout << "a*x^2+b*x+c\na=";  std::cin >> a;  std::cout << "b=";  std::cin >> b;  std::cout << "c=";  std::cin >> c;    std::complex<double>   e=(0.5*b/a)+(0.5*std::sqrt(b*b-(4.0*a*c))/a),   f=c/e;    // (a*x+f)*(x+e)  std::cout << "("<<add(mult(comp(a),"x"),comp(f))<<")*("<<add("x",comp(e))<<")" << std::endl; }

Sample run:
a*x^2+b*x+c
a=2
b=13
c=15
(2*x+3)*(x+5)

[Edited by - smart_idiot on July 24, 2005 3:58:52 AM]
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Many thanks to you smart_idiot!

(i would rate++ you, but i've already rated you fully.)

Um, smart idiot, when i try
a = -2
b = -13
c = -15

It spits back an answer of
(-2X + 1.5)(X - 10)

Yet, for X = 17:
-2 * x ^ 2 - (13 * x) - 15 = -814
(-2 * x + 1.5) * (x - 10) = 227.5

From,
Nice coder
I kind of goofed up my math so double check what I wrote. I think it's correct, now. Hey, I had a disclaimer. [wink]
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
ok, it works now.

Should it be producing whole numbers? (ie. shouldn't factorisation require all of the numbers to remain integers?)

From,
Nice coder

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement