DirectX vs. SDL

Started by
14 comments, last by JTippetts 18 years, 9 months ago
I'm really stuck. SDL seems so easy to use to create a game, however I have much more books (well infinite as many books, seeing as I have nothing about SDL) on directX and windows programming. Should I keep it up with SDL so I can get the foundation of game-making down, or should I save my time and start learning the crap out of directx/windows programming to get a jump-start on 3d? The reason I'm asking is because I don't have any game examples for SDL, but I do for DirectX (Tricks of the windows game programming gurus, program a role playing game in directx --2nd edition, introduction to 3d game programming with directx 9.0, etc.). Although, DirectX seems a ton harder to use, and longer too, but is it worth it over SDL? Thanks for your time, Gardon
Advertisement
Everyone's viewing, so reply!!!

Gardon
[rolleyes]

Q. should I use This or That?

A. Well, This is good, but That is quite good too. You might also want to look into Other (http://www.libother.org). Try one, and if you like it stick with it, otherwise experiment. In the end, time spent learning This will make That much easier to learn, so it's not a waste of time either way.
Squirm is correct, you should take a look on both and then decide.

I wouldn't say DX or SDL differ much, they each have sound, input 2D -handling etc.

And...
Quote:
Should I keep it up with SDL so I can get the foundation of game-making down, or should I save my time and start learning the crap out of directx/windows programming to get a jump-start on 3d?

You do know that SDL has support for OpenGL, right? [grin]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"Ask not what humanity can do for you, ask what you can do for humanity." - By: Richard D. Colbert Jr.
ya... I just don't like OpenGL for some reason......erm

Gardon
That's bad... SDL is very good at being used with OGL.

Anyway, hope this will help you deciding:

Why use SDL?
SDL: alternative to DirectX
Official SDL site

As for me, I'm using SDL for two years now, with some good results. Btw, there are also some books available to download, that focus on programming with SDL, they are in pdf formats. Use google to find them :-)
If you ever think of porting your application away from windows (Ie. to linux or mac), DirectX will not work on either of those... unless MS makes a DirectX for the new Mactels... but I doubt it!

I personally use SDL, and I don't have many problems with it, but its network API can be a little hard to figure out due to the lack of/hidden information that is out there :P

If I remember correctly DirectX is much more object oriented then SDL, which is completely procedureal. There are, how ever, alot of neat add-on libraries for SDL, none of which I've actually gotten time to play with, but are sitting there on the SDL web site.

But if your thinking about 3d, and don't like opengl, and only care for windows... I suppose DirectX would be the way to go.

As a side note, the sound API in SDL is low level/primitive if I remeber correctly, and alot of people end up using the OpenAL API instead... (which is also cross platform ^_^ b )

So I like the SDL/OpenGL/OpenAL mix myself... but I also like cross-platform, so its all most nessecary :P
Go cross-platform.....

Using DirectX is like using Microsoft NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP for networking. Even MS doesn't use NetBEUI anymore....

Oh and BTW - OpenGL is perhaps one of the best and elegant APIs out there. You just have to try it...

I feel bad though. I have so many books and articles and stuff that I spent money on, that are related to directx and windows related programming. I don't want to just have the books and never use them.

and I was looking over some OpenGL code, and it looked a lot like directx...or am I just way off on that one?

See, that's why I like SDL, because it's sooooo easy to use. However, I feel like easyness goes hand in hand with complexity/flexibility, so I always feel like I'm missing out on directx/openGL

Gardon
I would try one of them. And then later on after you make a couple of games you can always go and learn another one. You can know both them. Like if you want to program a game for Just windows then use DirectX. If you want to port a game over then use OpenGL. But then if you are still new then use SDL to start. I know lots of people who create some pretty good,simple,and yet complex games with SDL. So, that is something you will have to decide. Just like what some people stated above me, just try one and go to another one. Or just spend lots of time and learn all 3 of them. lol.

Chad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement