• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

2D in Managed DirectX?

This topic is 4777 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I already order Tom Miller's Managed DirectX 9 Kickstart, but since it arrives in about 6 days, I still want to read up on some 2D gamedev in MDX, using D3D(I am using C#). I found a stack of tutorials which uses DirectDraw, but I'm done with that. DDraw is obsolete and lacks functionality. I googled for some time now, but all the tutorials I found till so far are in 2D. I looked at the Coding4Fun articles, but those are far from complete, and also lack things like texturing. So I'm wondering if people know some articles that go into 2D using Managed Direct3D. Toolmaker

Advertisement
Sprite class is very good for rendering 2D in D3D. But if you want something more advanced (multitexturing, arbitrary shaped 2D polygons), you need to roll your own routines.
I'm making an 2D engine in C# & Managed Direct3D, and I have made my own drawing routines. They're not hard to make, I use ortho projection matrix and DrawUserPrimitives (not optimal, but works) to draw my vertices.
Here is an article about 2D in Direct3D. It's for normal DirectX, but the concepts are quite easy to implement also in MDX.

Yep, as mentioned, you actually have the option of using direct draw or the sprite class for 2d in MDX. The sprite class supports some easy to use functions to load and render 2d graphics with minimum fuss. Optimized too! Tom Miller's book has the low down on that, so you are better off waiting for it! ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!