3d game engine programming book

Started by
15 comments, last by FireNet 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi , I am a student and a hobbyist j2me 2d game developer for mobiles.I want to start developing 3d games for mobile (with java).I want to get some fundamental grasp on 3d graphics & game programming concepts and game engine design. I find two books on amazon.com 1.3D game engine architecture by David E. Eberly 2.3D game engine design by David E. Eberly Both has great reviews I looked in Table of contents ...and more or less both books seems to be same to me. I will appreciate if someone could tell me which of these 2 books explain 3d games engine concepts better or say which is better for me(I want a general book explaining all the concepts,as I'll be coding in java so book should not be much specific to C++ it should be more of concept explaining not full of C or C++ codes). Please help me . Thanks Alot
Advertisement
I can't help you but I was just wandering if todays mobile phones are already powerful enough to run real 3D games?
Never heard of either of those books, but there is a 3D Java book here. You can buy the published version from O'Reilly or just read the free one on the site.
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Those two books are the best you will possibly find on the subject, as David Eberly was an architect on the NDL NetImmerse engine (Morrowwind? Dark Age of Camelot? etc) and has degrees in both math and computer science.

The first book 'Game Engine Design' gives you the fundamental building blocks and mathematics for building a game engine. The second one 'Game Engine Architecture' gives more implementation and shows how specific parts function together.

I highly recommend both as I wouldn't be a graphics programmer here at work if I hadn't read those books hehe :) Although if you are looking for 'cut n paste engine' over learning the mathematics, design, and core concepts than obviously these would be a waste.
Thanks saruman and all .

well Dear saruman,
I'll also want to have them both of'em if they are good but I am a student and books are quite expensive to me.I can get the books funded by my institute but it takes time.I can buy the books but one by one.

which one should I buy and read first? ...Please tell me the one which is more of concepts learning rather than of codes.

Sounds like Design would be a good start and if that works out, follow up with Architecture.
The user reviews here at gamedev are pretty good. Look them over and see if one seems to be a bit more appropriate for you.

3D Game Engine Design
3D Game Engine Architecture
Hi ,
I read all the reviews.

" 3d Game Engine design " seems to be API independent but seem to be mostly maths but doesn't seem to be covering much 3d stuff?

and "3d Game Engine Architecture" covers maths and other 3d stuff.This book seems suitable to me but reading it's first few pages on amazon it seems that it's mostly openGl and C++ code.

this is final please someone tell me which is more conceptual rather than coding ?

I'm sorry if I m asking stupid things ,I'm really a infant here.Books are so expensive thatz why I am taking so much care before buying any of it.

Recommend one of these book to me I'll trust on all you experts suggestion.Just consider that i have nothing to do with openGl or C++(infact it wud give me hard time udnerstanding the sample code) so the book should be less with coding.

Please recommend one of them or any other book which you think wud be more appropriate.

thanks a million in advance
*edit*

Note to self: Read question in full before answering.
Quote:Original post by paradise
Recommend one of these book to me I'll trust on all you experts suggestion.Just consider that i have nothing to do with openGl or C++(infact it wud give me hard time udnerstanding the sample code) so the book should be less with coding.

If you're not familiar with C++ then these are probably not the books for you. But have a look at the author's site here. There is a sample chapter from each book there which might help you make up your mind. Though I'm fairly certain that they won't be much help for doing 3D mobile games.

You might want to look into OpenGL ES, I haven't read it, but take a look at this book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement