• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darenking

SOLVED, C++ Returning a pointer or reference to an array data member

This topic is 4869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, just a little question. I have an object, Character, that has an array of ints as a data member. Let's say it's called: int m_myArray[9]; I want to write a method for this object that returns a pointer or reference to myArray so that another object, called Actor, can receive it and access the values in the array. The method in Character may look something like this: int ArrayQuery() { return m_myArray[0]; } ; The Actor object needs to call Character.ArrayQuery() to find out the address of the array and store it in a data member so that it can access elements in the array from any of its methods. So Character has an array of ints as a data member, and Actor has access to this array (a reference or pointer?) stored as a data member. The end result is, any method of Actor can access the values in the Character object's m_myArray[]. The Actor object will know the size of the array, so I don't need to worry about bounds checking. Should I pass as a pointer or reference and perhaps someone can help with the syntax? [Edited by - darenking on August 2, 2005 4:42:17 AM]

Advertisement
If I understand your question correctly then the simplest possible thing would be:

class Character
{
public:
const int* GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}
private:
int myArray[ArraySize];
};

Quote:
Original post by DigitalDelusion

class Character
{
public:
const int* GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}
private:
int myArray[ArraySize];
};

Pointer decay is a nasty thingTM [grin]:

struct Character {

typedef const int (&const_array_ref)[30];
typedef int (&array_ref)[30];

private:

int myArray[30];

public:

const_array_ref GimmieTheArray() const { return myArray; }

};

Quote:
Original post by Basiror
you could simply overload the operator <type you want to return>*(){return yourarray};

User-defined implicit conversions can be much, much more sinisterTM. Another generally bad practice unless completely necessary which nearly all of the time is not the case.

[Edited by - snk_kid on July 20, 2005 8:48:54 AM]

Quote:
Original post by snk_kid
Pointer decay is a nasty thingTM [grin]:

DontRepeatYourself[attention]

class Character
{
typedef int array_t[ArraySize];
typedef array_t& array_ref;
typedef array_t const& const_array_ref;
public:
const_array_ref GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}
private:
array_t myArray;
};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!