SOLVED, C++ Returning a pointer or reference to an array data member

Started by
3 comments, last by DigitalDelusion 18 years, 9 months ago
Hello, just a little question. I have an object, Character, that has an array of ints as a data member. Let's say it's called: int m_myArray[9]; I want to write a method for this object that returns a pointer or reference to myArray so that another object, called Actor, can receive it and access the values in the array. The method in Character may look something like this: int ArrayQuery() { return m_myArray[0]; } ; The Actor object needs to call Character.ArrayQuery() to find out the address of the array and store it in a data member so that it can access elements in the array from any of its methods. So Character has an array of ints as a data member, and Actor has access to this array (a reference or pointer?) stored as a data member. The end result is, any method of Actor can access the values in the Character object's m_myArray[]. The Actor object will know the size of the array, so I don't need to worry about bounds checking. Should I pass as a pointer or reference and perhaps someone can help with the syntax? [Edited by - darenking on August 2, 2005 4:42:17 AM]
Advertisement
If I understand your question correctly then the simplest possible thing would be:
class Character{public:  const int* GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}private:int myArray[ArraySize];};
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
you could simply overload the operator <type you want to return>*(){return yourarray};
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
class Character{public:  const int* GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}private:int myArray[ArraySize];};

Pointer decay is a nasty thingTM [grin]:

struct Character {   typedef const int (&const_array_ref)[30];   typedef int (&array_ref)[30];private:   int myArray[30];public:	   const_array_ref GimmieTheArray() const { return myArray; }};

Quote:Original post by Basiror
you could simply overload the operator <type you want to return>*(){return yourarray};

User-defined implicit conversions can be much, much more sinisterTM. Another generally bad practice unless completely necessary which nearly all of the time is not the case.

[Edited by - snk_kid on July 20, 2005 8:48:54 AM]
Quote:Original post by snk_kid
Pointer decay is a nasty thingTM [grin]:

DontRepeatYourself[attention]
class Character{	typedef int array_t[ArraySize];	typedef array_t& array_ref;	typedef array_t const& const_array_ref;public:	const_array_ref GimmieTheArray(void) const { return myArray;}private:	array_t myArray;};
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement