Emotes and Animations as meaningful gameplay?

Started by
4 comments, last by Iron Chef Carnage 18 years, 9 months ago
I was sitting here looking at the models for a chair and table someone on my project had just done and began thinking to myself...why dont people actually use emotes and animations the way we do in real life? Furthermore, is there a way to make these more fluid methods of communication? Sure there games that allow players to sit and have wave emotes, but its customarily not used. I was thinking that perhaps each emote could very slightly raise the faction of the person you're emoting to? Or sitting on a chair or laying in a bed could actually raise your stamina? Both of those seem too crude though. Im sure part of the reason is that its not as easy to thumb through menus for emotes as it is to raise your arm and wave in real life. But as we creep closer and closer to "realism" in gaming surely these features can serve a more meaningful purpose? Thoughts?
Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion StudiosTeam Lead - CONFLICT: Omega A Post-Apocalyptic MMO ProjectJoin our team! Positions still available.CONFLICT:Omega
Advertisement
I don't see why not.

You could select happy / sad faces as answers to questions. Or nod or shake your head to say yes / no. A confused smiley would ask them to repeat the question again.
Just don't let this happen.

/wave
You wave at Lightgarde Knight.
Lightgarde Knight waves at you.
Your faction with Lightgarde Fortress went up by 1.
/wave
/wave
Right, macroing would ruin the whole thing.

It would need to be more like:

/wave
/wave
Lightgarde Knight scratches his head and waves back.
Your faction with Lightgarde Fortress says the same.
/wave
Lightgarde Knight wonders why this idiot is waving more.
Your faction with Lightgarde Fortress went down by 1.

Or either initiate some sort of interaction based on the repitition, but yeah macroing that would suck big time.
Alfred Norris, VoodooFusion StudiosTeam Lead - CONFLICT: Omega A Post-Apocalyptic MMO ProjectJoin our team! Positions still available.CONFLICT:Omega
Quote:Original post by Vanquish

/wave
Lightgarde Knight wonders why this idiot is waving more.
Your faction with Lightgarde Fortress went down by 1.

/wave
You wave at Knight
/wave
ditto
/wave
Knight says "hello sailor!"
/wave
Knight asks you if you like it rough.
/smiley face
Initiates Hot Coffee mode.

;) heh.
Maybe it would be best to automate such little nuances of behavior. You could set a "state" for your attitude, and that would have an impact on your interaction. Say you want to treat the lightgarde knight with respect and deference, whie ignoring the citizenry and being aloof to the castle guards. This could serve to "suck up" to the knights, while showing your station in life to be appropriate to their dignity.

Perhaps your faction and training could dictate what demeanors are available to you in certain company. The cool samurai who casually dispatches foes and clamly cleans his blade afterward would be implaccable in the presence of lesser wariors, but there's no button for spitting on your master's shoes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement