• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
vidalsasoon

snapping objects together.

This topic is 4892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a 3D level editor. I have a terrain which is a trimesh and i'de like to be able to "snap" trees onto my landscape(trees are cylinders with a mesh wrapper). - The reason i'm using cylinders is for the physics engine to have less polygons to deal with for collision detection. I want a lot of trees :) - If i just use the physics engine to stick my objects together, I'm afraid the meshes will overlap poorly... ideas? thx V.

Advertisement
What do you mean by overlap poorly?

For placing objects on terrain, you could just do a height lookup and set the tree at that height, rather than let your physics system do it. The result would be about the same.

Without going in and tweaking the position by hand, there certainly is going to be the possibility that the tree mesh will intersect the terrain in a way that is visually nonpleasing... And I don't have an obvious suggestion for you there.

hmmm

maybe I should forget about placing static objects in my editor and instead make a low poly version of my terrain+trees to use as my trimesh and a high poly version with normal map to make it look nice.

I'm trying to keep the load on the physics engine as low as possible...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!