Xbox 360, Ps3, Nintendo Revolution Coding

Started by
110 comments, last by Retrep 18 years, 3 months ago
Which compiler and language is best to be done for these consoles? I plan to make a game for the PC, Xbox 360, and Ps3, and I need to know about the compilers and what programming language to use.
Everything that has a beginning has an end.
Advertisement
The short and sad answer is the hobby programmers cannot make games for any of the new consoles coming out. To make a game you need a license deal with sony, nintendo or microsoft and you need dev kits which I assume will run about $10,000 each.

Anyway, prototypes of the dev kits are only available to a small number of the major publishers. Inside those publishers engineers are struggling to figure out how to code for them. Basically it's a paradigm shift into highly threaded application programming for the new games. The PS3, for instance has essentially the ability to execute 9 concurrent threads (one of which is locked for the console native magic).

Basically unless you are a professional developer put away your dreams to code for the new consoles. Sony, nintendo and Miscrosoft are simply making it impossible for non-professionals to write games for their consoles.

If you really want to work on those consoles call up the appropriate Sony or Microsoft departments with your game proposal and team layout, etc and start lobbying for access. Expect to pay an assload of money for that access & don't bother trying unless your team has shipped a bunch of major titles previously.

It kinda sucks but that's the way the industry is going. =/

-me
I checked the Xbox website so I can find out about the Xbox 360 stuff, and theres nothing for registration yet..

Quote:Original post by TravisL742
I checked the Xbox website so I can find out about the Xbox 360 stuff, and theres nothing for registration yet..

This is not something that you can hope to achieve unless you are a major publisher or affiliated with one. Sorry to say that if you do not already have contacts inside the console manufacturers that you should just give up this idea.

Anyway, this is not something you would find on the website. You will need to look for the phone numbers of the sales teams or PR teams or something like that. You will need to call them and talk to them and see what is involved in becomming a licensed partner. Again don't even attempt this unless you have released at least one AAA title or somewhere around 5 other professionally released games or run a team composed of people for whom that is true.

You might have better luck going to a major publisher like EA or Activision with your game proposal and seeing if they will get you the licence deal. Expect to have a _working_ prototype of your game running on the PC. Again this is something that one accomplishes by calling people on the phone, not by reading the company website for instructions.

It's important to point out that the publishers are expecting that next-gen games will cost upwards of $20 million dollars to develop. As this is the case, the bar to entry is _extremely_ high. $20 million is a lot to risk on anything.

-me
Yea, but you would have to have good conversation skillz for telephone conversations with those who are listening to your proposal.
Yea, but you would have to have good conversation skillz for telephone conversations with those who are listening to your proposal.

No, conversation skills probably would not be nearly as important as millions of dollars and an established development team with several titles under its belt. Really, if you want to program on a next-gen console, you should be looking for a job with a game development studio, not poking around websites.

I take it i have been sucked in and fed a troll? =(

-me
Quote:Original post by Sneftel

No, conversation skills probably would not be nearly as important as millions of dollars and an established development team with several titles under its belt. Really, if you want to program on a next-gen console, you should be looking for a job with a game development studio, not poking around websites.

That ain't happening, since I'm 14, and every job Ive seen that I could do, you have to be over 18 and have a college degree..

I meet almost all of part of them, but with the over 18, and college degree crap, this ain't happening until after the next Microsoft console....

That ain't happening, since I'm 14, and every job Ive seen that I could do, you have to be over 18 and have a college degree..

I meet almost all of part of them, but with the over 18, and college degree crap, this ain't happening until after the next Microsoft console....

Right. So for the time being, stick to PC (or a console that's more open to homebrew development, like the dreamcast or PS2).
Yes, but for those systems (what you listed), don't you have to have the CD code so the Playstation 2 will read it?

I don't own a Sega Dreamcast, so that will not be done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement