• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Nokturnal

Project Suggestions

This topic is 4884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This may sound a bit odd but here goes nothing ,this year as per my university requirements , i am supposed to do a project . Well it kind of needs to be a research based project.From what some of the other people i know ,are doing things like AI algorithms for chess , Antialiasing for a line algorithm , another is working on associaition rules for data mining , another friend is working on finger print analysis. As far as my skill level goes , i am not a very good programmer , i can work around the usual stuff & a bit of pointers never hurt me :). What i am looking for are project suggestions so that i dont pick up something which is over ambitious and end up dead , nor do i pick up a simple walk in the park . I am hoping this project will hone my skills. I had earlier thought of making a side-scroller , but then i dont have any one available for technical assitance incase i get stuck up real bad some place.I am trying to get in touch with some people which will be available for guidence. Another problem being , i havent made a game till date , ie no pong , no tetris. I am still working with DirectDraw & andre la mothes , tricks of windows ....so i am unaware of the hidden surprizes on the way.I just might go with this one. The duration of the entire project is around 6 months , so some thing in that range.All ideas are welcome Thanks

Advertisement
Here's an idea that I worked on for a while on my own. Do you know anything about technical analysis of stocks? It is basically finding buy and sell signals for a stock based entirely on previous volume, price, etc. The idea is that the price and volume of a stock today show the direction the stock will move tomorrow. What I did was built a program consisting of a bunch of indicators. I then layered the buy and sell signals from the different indicators to get an overall buy and sell signal. The program requires a bit of math (as complicated or simple as you want...ie you could just use moving averages or integrals or many other things as indicators...most of the formulas are available).

Unfortunately, my computer somehow fried after about a month and a half on the project. I was able to run simulations on thousands of stocks though and I think I made money on something like 40 - 50% of my fake portfolios or around there. It would have been interesting to finish the project and see if I really could make it sucessful (50% might be considered sucessful...but I wasn't able to run enough tests). I would truely love to work on the project again someday and you might have a lot of fun with it.

i'm sorry , i was away for a couple of days , thanks for the idea wease , but the one you suggest a person ought to know how trading works & a number of factors which play a part in it , and i am not much of a buisness mind , so i guess i wont be going for that one :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!