• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Midnight8x

I'm an artist, I want to make a 2D fighting game, but I can't program...

This topic is 4889 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

(my first post here) Hey all, I'm an artist, I do drawing (pencil/pen etc.) painting, and also digital drawing and painting (both bitmap and vector image files). However, my one problem is I'm very weak on the programming side. I suck at programming to put it better. So, any advice as to how I can go about making a 2D fighting game where art skills are more important? =p I really want to make a simple 2D fighting game, I just need someone to point me in the right direction, thanks!

Advertisement
Hello, welcome to GameDev!

You could learn to program, but if you're not motivated or not interested you probably won't get too far. What you could do is try to find a team to help you, instead of doing all the work yourself, and provide your services as an artist.

You may find yourself set up for future projects if you do a good job first time round. Try Gamedev's very own Help Wanted section - just be sure to follow the template as laid out in the sticky.

STOP PRESS: There's a team looking for an artist right now.

I wish you all the best of luck in the future, enjoy!

ukdeveloper.

Another option is to use some sort of easy game creation software. This ranges from Clickteam's offerings, which are almost entirely drag'n'drop, to more advanced solutions involving script such as DarkBasic, BlitzBasic, etc. This page has an excellent, though long, list of resources to help you build a game even if you aren't a programmer.

thanks guys, I can learn to program, but I'd honestly prefer to do something more drag and drop if I have to. Programs where I simply can set certain attributes to objects, or select an action to perform after a certain event or command I can do easy. When I have to actually type in lines of code, that's where I am hopeless :p

Try using flash to make your game. That sounds perfect for your skillset and what you are trying to do. I doubt you'll entirely escape programming by using flash, but it should be minimized and simplified greatly. Google for some flash tutorials and you should be well on your way.

Its getting a bit old now, but their an engine called 'mugen' its fighting game specific and just lets you import your own sprites and backgrounds.

Still you best bet is to hook up with a team.
:D

Quote:
Original post by helix
Try using flash to make your game. That sounds perfect for your skillset and what you are trying to do. I doubt you'll entirely escape programming by using flash, but it should be minimized and simplified greatly. Google for some flash tutorials and you should be well on your way.

Seconded.

John B

Quote:
Original post by Owain
Its getting a bit old now, but their an engine called 'mugen' its fighting game specific and just lets you import your own sprites and backgrounds.

I was going to recommend this as well, although I'd forgotten the name. I've seen this M.U.G.E.N. game before; basically it's a fully implemented fighting game engine with a single sample character that you just import your own artwork into (not sure how much extra programming you have to do, but it's bound to be simple). Unfornunately it might be a bit hard to find these days as the company website (Elecbyte) doesn't seem to exist, but if you Google for "mugen" and "Elecbyte" in the same query you might be able to find a copy.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!