• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
KRandor

General question about mobile programming

This topic is 4895 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I want to make a program for mobile phones that can fetch/save data to a server. Either directly to an SQL database or to a program on the server. Is this possible with java? I suppose that I need a mobile phone with EDGE? I'm serious about this project so I'm wery grateful for answers. (Also, I really want a good reason for buying a new phone =)

Advertisement
Yes, it is possible. Basically, you'll be fetching and saving data by means of HTTP requests. On the server side, you have a CGI program running which communicates with clients.

Do you (anyone) know of any books or tutorials about the subject? And what mobile phone would you say is good enough for a beginner? Is it possible to make such a program on a 6170?

I haven't worked with the 6170 specifically, but Nokias are fine for this sort of thing. As for books, this is great.

I'm thinking of buying a new phone and it says...

Java™ Applications:
- Max download size: 256 kB per application

256kB doesn't sound like much. But is it enough if you want to write own applications for it? Dooh...depends on how big programs you write but you know what I mean =) How big does your program/games get?

Currently, the most common J2ME phones are Nokia Series 40 phones. The newer ones support apps of up to 128K and the older ones up to 64K. So 256K isn't so bad isn't it? For a lower end phone it's not bad at all.

shmoove

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!