Beginning C++ issues

Started by
16 comments, last by killnine 18 years, 9 months ago
So yeah, Just starting to migrate to C++ from a semester of Java and I am using my school's Visual Studio 2003. I am in Visual C++ and writing a simple program. Very simple. However, the tutorial I am doing this from is using Visual C++ 6.0.

#include <iostream.h>
class CCircle {
public:
	CCircle (float x, float y, float r) : m_x(x), m_y(y), m_r(r) {}
	~CCircle() {}
	float getArea() { (3.14159f * m_r * m_r);}
	void setX(float x) { m_x = x; }
	void setY(float y) { m_y = y; }
	void setR(float r) { m_r = r; }
	float getX() { return m_x;}
	float getY() { return m_y;}
	float getR() { return m_r;}
private:
	float m_x;
	float m_y;
	float m_r;
};

CCircle gblCircle(5.,5.,4.);

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
	CCircle lclCircle(10.,10.,5.);

cout << "global circle area" << gblCircle.getArea() << end1;
	cout << "local circle area" << lclCircle.getArea() << end1;

gblCircle.setR(20.0);
	lclCircle.setR(15.0);

cout << "global circle area" << gblCircle.getArea() << end1;
	cout << "local circle area" << lclCircle.getArea() << end1;

return 0;
}

I just figured out that .net uses some different standard that says you should instead use the syntax #include <iostream>; so that takes care of one of the errors. But I still get errors when using cout and end1: c:\Documents and Settings\Derek\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Circle\Circle.cpp(25) : error C2065: 'cout' : undeclared identifier c:\Documents and Settings\Derek\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\Circle\Circle.cpp(25) : error C2065: 'end1' : undeclared identifier I would really really appreciate some help. Ever since I started trying to learn C++ I have never gotten comfotable with a compiler and stuff like this would always turn me away from the language. I am at college now and have the opportunity to use a really nice production IDE and don't want it to pass me by! Thanks for any and all assistance! [Edited by - Fruny on July 20, 2005 1:13:57 PM]
Advertisement
Try std::cout and std::endl.

It's endl not a 1, an L in lowercase.

Or you could type using namespace std; right at the top of your code, underneath #include <iostream>

HTH,

ukdeveloper.
Standard library components are placed in the std namespace.
You can add using namespace std; after you #include the headers, selectively import those symbols you want to use by writint using std::cout; ... instead, or fully qualify every reference to the symbol by writing std::cout where you currently have just cout

Additionally, you wrote end1 with the number 1, when the correct symbol is endl with the lowercase letter L.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
All parts of the standard library are in the namespace std. This includes cout, endl, string, vector, etc. Also, all old C functions that have the new c prefix are also in namespace std. Put using namespace std; at the top to fix the errors.
Quote:Original post by Gink
Also, all old C functions that have the new c prefix are also in namespace std.

Incorrect. What you meant was that every standard C header has a standard C++ counterpart whose name is formed by prefixing with a 'c' and dropping the '.h' extension:

stdlib.h → cstdlibctype.h  → cctypemath.h   → cmath

Symbols in those header files are supposedly placed in the std namespace, but often are not.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
oh my gosh guys, you are amazing.I really appreciate your speedy help. I am using a visual tutorial so thats why I wrote the 1. I should probably use O'reillys C++ pocket reference to make sure what I am typing is logical. I feel really silly now. Oh yeah, I also didn't need a semi-colon after including iostream and such, that took care of a few other errors.

So why was there such a change between VC++ 6.0 and the Visual C++ of .NET 2003?

EDIT: Nevermind, there wasn't the same change as I thought. I didn't fully read prior posts...
I say that VC++ 6 is rather useless. Dev-C++ has a more user friendly interface. But, if you want to stick with VC++ 6, then that's fine by me. aybe you could check Dev-C++ out later. Anyways, just curious, are you running your programs from the Run->"Command"?
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
Quote:Original post by killnine
So why was there such a change between VC++ 6.0 and the Visual C++ of .NET 2003?

Because C++ got standardized in 1998, after MSVC++ 6.0 was released.
I wouldn't say Dev-CPP has a better interface. It's fairly buggy and I have wierd issues when I'm trying to debug like it forgetting breakpoints and the stop debugging sometimes doesn't work.

Visual C++ 6.0, even though it has poor template implementation has a fine interface and I wouldn't replace it with Dev-CPP on any windows application programming task.

However, for writing cross-platform application that use and/or abuse templates, I would not use VC++ 6.
Visual C++ 6 wasn't even up to date when it was released in 1998. It's true that the final changes were made in 1998 but the progress of the c++ standardization was over the past years and they could have put a lot of it even in the vc6.
The Visual C++ 2002, 4 years after the standardization, is still very bad when it comes to the standard support.

But Visual C++ 2003 is a very great idea and supports almost the full standard :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement