Demos

Started by
6 comments, last by coorrae 18 years, 9 months ago
I've been working on my engine (I still am) and I don't believe that I'll be able to finish the entire game by the contest end date. Should I even attempt to enter a demo (it should have a couple towns and dungeons in it.) Thanks!
Advertisement
I have a question about demos as well. Can I release a demo to the public? Because if all goes well, I'll be submitting a full game at the contest end.

-Eigen
Cool, thanks!
If your game design calls for something longer than what you end up submitting, you may lose game design points, especially if cutting things out results in rough edges. Having the game simply stop after a little bit because it runs out of content is unlikely to feel right.

If you can submit an entry that is 'self contained,' though, you should be OK - I'm talking about the Doom-style shareware model where the first episode has a "proper ending" in and of itself, even though there are two more episodes that can be played afterwards.

There's certainly no problem with you continuing to work on a project after the contest deadline. We'd probably like to be notified if you do release new versions, such that if we show off your game at GDC or whatever then we can make sure we're showing off the latest version.

And sure, you're allowed to release demos of your projects during the contest. I'd probably go so far as to encourage that, as it's a good way to get the game tested on different hardware configs and to get feedback on the way the game is going.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Is there any way we can find out if the game runs on the computer's the judges will have (besides finding a friend with the minimum system reqs).

Heh if anyone has a computer with the exacty recommended min sys reqs, I'd post a thread in september, you'll get alot of free previews ;)
I've got one slightly below, 1ghz with a geforce 2mx. I'll probly be too busy throwing my entry together though.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Don't they make all the entries available for download after the contest?

I have a GF2, 750MHz system, we could set up a network of people willing to test others' demos. Or just stick them on DevImg.net and post in a "Post Yer Demos" thread!
I am going to show my demo early so that I can find out how it works on other computers and make sure that everyone can figure out how to play. Of course I wont upload anything that isn't worth downloading, but seeing that "post yer demos" topic would help
~signature

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement