Tile Editors

Started by
2 comments, last by MrDoomMaster 18 years, 9 months ago
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a program that can do the following: 1) A program that allows you to edit single tiles, sort of like an icon editor, but for individual tiles. It should work similar to Paint Shop Pro, in terms of painting functionality. 2) A program that lets you create a tileset bitmap with your custom made tiles and/or premade tiles of your choice. Since I suck at drawing bitmaps, I more than likely won't be making my own. This is why having preset tiles for backgrounds is so important. 3) It should have an editor to allow you to create levels with your tiles. It should save these levels as a data file containing configuration data for your level setup, so when you load it into your game engine it can immediately render the level. The editor should allow the ability to set properties for individual tile types, such as colision, and other important features. My game will look sort of like Zelda 3 (helicopter view), so I will need tiles for that sort of game. I have seen a thread here on the forums about Tile Studio, yet I have not been able to find a download link for it, even via google. All links are broken apparently. I also have no idea if Tile Studio has the features I need, I was hoping for something a little more complex. I have not tried it yet though, so I can't be so sure it isn't complex already. Anyone mind helping? Thanks ahead of time!
Advertisement
I'm actually considering the same question for my present design; I'm looking for a good tile editor for my artwork.

I'm not sure what you were trying in the Google search query, but when I searched for Tile Studio I found this link to Tile Studio at sourceforge; I suspect this what you are after. And thanks for directing me to it as well!

Good luck with your game!
For tilesets I can recommend GraphicsGale. It's a wonderful editor for pixel works in generally and it's grid system helps a lot when managing tilesets/sprite sheets. I have yet to find a good general-purpose tilemap editor though I've often used Mappy in the past, but mostly because of it's ability to easily output maps in a configurable binary format.

I'm still searching for a tilemap editor with any kind of support for meta-tile editing, preferably one with a few user controllable flags to define things like collision detection. Oh, and per-tile h/v flipping, sub-palette override and priority control would be nice too when working with consoles. And support for controlling actor spawn points seems to be even rarer outside of game-specific editors, so you're usually left having to abuse a tile layer or write one yourself.

You really can't expect to use a single "studio" for all the level editing unless you write it yourself. More often than not you're left with a patchwork of little utilities and custom tools instead.
Wow there seems to be a huge shortage in good tile editors. I've already coded my own, for basic needs. I might add onto it later for public release ;)

Does anyone know a good place for square tilesets? No fancy tilesets, just orthographic tilesets. I've looked at a few links on the forum, and I've not found any. The tilesets need to be for terrain, a building, outside in a field, tilesets for making pathways and other unique terrain features.

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement