• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nemesisgeek

Need to improve particle systems

This topic is 4889 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
1. Use fewer particles and increase their opacity (less transparent).
2. Use fewer particles and increase their overall size (so you need less of them).

The smoke in that screenshot clearly does not need 6000 particles. You could do something equivalent (and better) with a few hundred with great textures.

what are your computer specs, btw??

My particle system runs with 40 fps at 10000 particles (immediate mode).....
but I've got an athlon64 3.2gHz and GF6...

yeapp.. as said above; bigger particles often looks better.

peace!

I'm not sure, but are you sorting your particles from back to front(for correct alpha blending). I'm just asking...

Vary the particle texture as well. - Do not use flat gradient shades for smoke, as you can get away with substantially less particles if you use a cloudy texture. You will need to use different particle textures for different effects, but the trade off is worth it. I can get a realistic fire using only 100 particles per second for the flames, 50 pps for sparks, and 150 pps for smoke.

Vary the particle texture as well. - Do not use flat gradient shades for smoke, as you can get away with substantially less particles if you use a cloudy texture. You will need to use different particle textures for different effects, but the trade off is worth it. I can get a realistic fire using only 100 particles per second for the flames, 50 pps for sparks, and 150 pps for smoke.

uh - db error? mod can delete this, thanks :)

why not use fewer particles, but make them rotate to simulate multi-particle-movement and grow with time?

Quote:
Original post by Delfi
why not use fewer particles, but make them rotate to simulate multi-particle-movement and grow with time?

better yet add animated textures onto the particles. im trying to figure those out right now...

If you add animated or multiple textures, make sure you put them all together in one texture and just change the uv coordinates. Switching textures the whole time kills performance fast.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!