Info On Game Engine Design

Started by
11 comments, last by void* 18 years, 9 months ago
I am looking for a real good document on total game engine design and how to make each part of the game engine. I am see some docs but nothing that really should how thing work together and stuff.
Advertisement
You should really get a book:

I recommend "3D game engine programming" by Stefan Zerbst (has been recommended by many others on the forums too)

Getting something like this from a tutorial will be all but in-depth.

"3D Game Engine Architecture" by Eberly is also strongly recommended.
I've read it a couple of times and it gave me (and stille gives me) tons and tons of information on game engines that I truely appreciate.
But reading other peoples code (there's a lot of free engines out there - Ogre, Crystal Space, CatMother, Cube 3D to name a few - most, and everyone of the mentioned, are available via SourgeForge, so search that site for engines) will also provide you with more than enough information to start your own.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
well i really don't have the money for a book like that. I would just like some website that have info on that syuff, it does not need to be grade A stuff but atleast has to have good info and not crap.
Quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
well i really don't have the money for a book like that.

Maybe you can borrow it from a library? This is what I did.
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
well i really don't have the money for a book like that. I would just like some website that have info on that syuff, it does not need to be grade A stuff but atleast has to have good info and not crap.

The problem with this topic is that it is really huge, I mean, that book I recommended, 850 pages, and yet, it still never gives you the feeling of I do know everything, and still he was very clear and straight on about everything.

I would guess the best you can get for free is some schedule on how things would be abstracted... but, if you are not buying a book, I would recommend you to go straight on, don't care about problems with bugs and strange structure... just do it quick, afterwards you rethink it all when you know how it will be, what problems that will appear and so on.

Reading from a free 10-page guide really won't take you far down the road unless you have done these things before. (Perhaps study the interface for an open source engine, but be aware to get confused instead of helped)

Game Coding Complete Ed 2 does a decent job of explaining one view of game architecture. Bear in mind that there isn't a single 'best' way. I read that DOOM3 had several engines and architectures created before the one you see today.
Quote:Original post by evolutional
I read that DOOM3 had several engines and architectures created before the one you see today.

At work I just finished our engines core component rewrite again, so I have also realized that things can't be done exact in one shot and that you might need to change architecture :) Obviously you need plans and documentation, but even with them you will run into things that you want to do differently. For me it is revisting the scenegraph batching and animation system all the time :)
Yea i think it is really down to 2 books that i will get, just not sure on which one first. the 2 book that it is down to in 3D Game Engine Programming and 3D Game Engine Architure(sp). which one would you suggest to get first?
Yea i think it is really down to 2 books that i will get, just not sure on which one first. the 2 book that it is down to in 3D Game Engine Programming and 3D Game Engine Architure(sp). which one would you suggest to get first?

I just picked up 3D Game Engine Architecture a couple days ago. So far i've been really happy with it. Check out the author's page for a downloadable sample chapter. Also the code from the first chapter is not on the CD-ROM, but you can get it from the web site - it's not that big of a deal as chapter one is mostly just an intro and doesn't have much to do with the rest of the book.

The only complaint I have so far is that the engine on the CD won't compile with newer versions of g++ (looks like it's a quirk of the C++ standard). But you can download the latest version from the author's web site and it compiles perfectly.

David Eberly's website also has tons of great links for 3D game dev.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement