• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dave84311

Input Box

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is the easiest or most effectve method of using direct3d and placing an input box and button inside of a game. I am having issues with my method, the direct3d example of the UI that is included is no help.

Advertisement
Hi Dave G,
When you say "the direct3d example of the UI that is included is no help", could you give more details?
Which part of the sample are you having trouble with?
If you are using C++, I should be able to help.
If you are using managed DX, I might not be able to help :(

TIA,
Cambo_frog

I am using unmanaged directx, in c++. Anyways, the problem is I don't know where to start. I can code my own, input box, and mouse over button, in a sort of "newb" style. But there must be an easier way already intergraded into the SDK such as the example with the SDK, just not managed and 20 thousand lines.

Quote:
Original post by Dave84311
I am using unmanaged directx, in c++. Anyways, the problem is I don't know where to start. I can code my own, input box, and mouse over button, in a sort of "newb" style. But there must be an easier way already intergraded into the SDK such as the example with the SDK, just not managed and 20 thousand lines.

Hi Dave G,
I know what you mean about the amount of code in the samples using the DXUT framework.
A lot of the general DXUT can be ignored to start with, it is just a matter of knowing where to "plug in" your own code, which is usually in the various "callback" functions.
For help on general DXUT functions read:
"DXUT Overview"
"DXUT Programming Guide"
"DXUT Reference"
"CustomUI Sample"

... in the SDK help file.

Unfortunately the documentation for the GUI part of DXUT (DXUTGUI) is virtually non existant.
if you give me details of what sort of information you want to enter in your input box (CDXUTEditBox) and the caption you want on your button (CDXUTButton) and what sort of "action" you want to take when the button is pressed, I will give you the code you need to adapt the "EmptyProject" sample.

I wont have time to get back to you with the code today, but if you stiil need the code and I havn't replied by tommorow evening, then please bump this thread.

HTH,
Cambo_frog

Just go ahead and email it to me when you have time.
Email: dave84311(AT)hotmail(DOT)com.

What I am adding to my game is a login form. I have everything else in my game sorted. It needs a username field and password field along with a "Login" button. On click, it would execute a function that validates login.

I will go head and bump this topic tommorrow evening, and do some research on CDXUT, along with poking and proding at the example.

[Edited by - Dave84311 on July 20, 2005 8:54:58 PM]

Hi Dave G,
Sorry I took time to get back to you.
Here are some step by step instructions to implement your login dialog by adapting the "EmptyProject" sample.
If you if have any problems understanding it, then the project source as a zip file is here.
You can see a screenshot here.
The zip file contains solution files for VS.Net 2003 and VS.Net 2002, although the 2002 solution is untested.
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask in the forum or send me a PM.

***Edit***
You can also get the main LoginProject.cpp as a seperate zip file here

HTH,
Cambo_frog

[Edited by - Cambo_frog on July 22, 2005 1:23:23 PM]

Quote:
Original post by ReaVeR-Andrey
Make it yourself or ask somebody :)

He has asked somebody, and if he could make it himself he wouldn't be asking :)
Also how is a screenshot of a UI totally unreleted to his needs (a login dialog) supposed to help?
Quote:
!EDIT! ask for code if you want it :). It sould be easy to understand (I hope), but it has no comments.

He has asked for code. See his previous reply.
Also the CustomUI sample contains lots of undocumented code for DXUT GUI, so how is more undocumented/unexplained code going to help him?

TIA,
Cambo_frog

Quote:
Make it yourself or ask somebody :)

!EDIT! ask for code if you want it :). It sould be easy to understand (I hope), but it has no comments.

I was asking some one... There seems to be no help with this on the net or anything spefic about DX's UI Functions when Googling. Cambo_frog thanks alot! That tutorial of a sort and the sourcecode is enough help. Thanks again.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!