• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HellRiZZer

OpenGL GUI (Full Suite)

This topic is 4772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody, I challenge JavaCoolDude in the creation of the GUI that is easy to use/write extensions to, that is highly configurable and IS heavily documented in-source and help file by presenting to you my final creation: GUI Editor, Animation Editor, Help File and Full Source Try it and tell me what you think of it. Of course, it's far from perfect, although I did my best (note, not tried!) :) Here's a sample image of the GUI Editor: And here's one for the Animation Editor: Thanks all.

Advertisement
Wow. Excellent work. I haven't worked with JavaCoolDude's XML System yet, but yours is impressive. And you're challenging him, it takes lots of guts to do that, his work is awesome ;)
Excellent Program, I'll tinker with it A LOT. Does JavaCoolDude have a tool for visually editing GUIs?

This sounds interesting but I'm gonna have to decline your challenge and hence declare you the winner by default.

I have way too many things to do as SIGGRAPH comes closer and quite honestly the GUI part of my new rendering engine is the least of my worries.

The way I have it setup now is more than enough for what I want it to do, and that's why I'm giving my source code away to whoever wants it.

See I'm not really into the GUI stuff, I'm more heavily involved in creating special effects in DX and GL (heck that's what I do for living now :D). The project started as "Hmmm I need an exit button somewhere on the sceen" and came to be what it is now.

I totally dig your GUI editor and I'm sure it's easy enough to use, keep up to good work mate :)

Thanks for the warm words, JavaCoolDude, I knew you wouldn't dare to challenge me :)) No, really, thanks. I'm learning a lot from YOUR style of writing code, and WILL use some of it, but good luck with your work @ SIGGRAPH, I wish I will be there someday. Right now I'm planning on working on augmented reality systems, what are you doing as a research(if any)?
And this GUI is also my final product, I'll be doing something different as well now, but hey, the patches will be coming, I can promise you that :)

I should also work on the look of the GUI (e.g skins), because yours is way better than mine in that aspect. Although it's not hard to make them (or download), its still a job that needs to be done.

After all, thanks to BOTH of us to presenting our GUIs to the community. I withdraw from the challenge and declare a draw.

I suppose the GUI isn't cross platform, so I'm afraid I can't test it at the moment because I'm running Linux. What would it take to port this to Linux?

[Edited by - James Trotter on July 22, 2005 7:04:35 AM]

Quote:
Original post by James Trotter
I suppose the GUI isn't cross platform, so I'm afraid I can't test it at the moment, because I'm running Linux. What would it take to port this to Linux?

As it seems you only have to backport the windows message loop and a bunch of defines ;) Seriously it seems like what would be needed is to feed the event-loop somehow the code looks a bit windows-centric though but that's just from a glance at the source.

The major modifications that have to be done to make it cross-platform is the input engine and yes, the message loop. The rest is platform-independant already, that's my plan from the very beginning.
Well, maybe just a few functions that need some attention (like AdjustWindowRect or any other API-specific calls).

And the only thing keeping me from making it cross-platform is that I yet have to install Linux on my machine @ home and use Eclipse or something to adjust it to Linux env.

But soon (in a week, most probably) I'll install it and make it truly cross-platform, so keep up to it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!