• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eben

Torque claims it's comparable to the Source engine ... comments?

This topic is 4862 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering how true this is. This is a pretty hefty statement and I was wondering how much truth there is to it. If anyone has actually used or seen Torque in action let me know if there is substance to what they say :)

Advertisement
The Torque Shader engine is certainly close to Source in regards to graphical features, though it's lacking the heavyweight physics engine. It's still under development, but the recent release of Milestone 2 put a quite nice terrain system in place.

clicky for pretty pictures

For the price, it's certainly worth a thought when compared to Source, the community is generally helpful and the documentation is improving all the time.

It's not.

Well, I haven't played with TSE but I found the C++ code for Torque to be really, really bad. I'm assuming it'd be a similar case for TSE.

Quote:

Well, I haven't played with TSE but I found the C++ code for Torque to be really, really bad. I'm assuming it'd be a similar case for TSE.

And have you played with the HalfLife2 source code and found it to be good?

What about the toolchain? I'd be surprised if Torque had the kind of facial animation tools Source does.

Quote:
Original post by w00f
What about the toolchain? I'd be surprised if Torque had the kind of facial animation tools Source does.

To add to this does Torque even support morph target animation / vertex for facial?

Quote:
Original post by FReY
Quote:

And have you played with the HalfLife2 source code and found it to be good?

Yeah, cause, the HL2 SDK source = :O (i.e. pretty bad)

Have you guys ever run this Torque demo
http://www.garagegames.com/mg/snapshot/view.php?qid=960

They had it somewhere on their site. But I ran it on my 6800 Ultra and it looked like CRAP !! They "showed this off" at some event this past year trying to show the capabilities of the Torque Shader engine, but I have to say it looked like crap, even compared with games up to 2 years old.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!