• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
andrew_wardobe

Best Graphics Cards

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm buying a new graphics card i was wondering what what would the best card card for games programming with i'm a bit of a of an nVidia geforce man myself i had a radeon but i didn't like it. i was thinking of getting an geForce 7 256MB is i worthwhile getting one? is there a 512 model in the pipeline? should i wait for that? or is there some altogether better card for game development? cheers andrew

Advertisement
Why would a graphics card matter for programming? You can play top of the line game with a radeon 9600 for about $50. The best card out there is the geforce 6800 but I wouln't waste my money on that.

Depending on if you want access to the latest GPU features or not.

If you're relatively new to games programming you could do without a top of the line model. Anything like a GeForceFX or something would suit for at least a year.

Depending on how advanced of programming you do, a 9600 would probably be plenty. A 6600gt would be a big step up and should play any current games (with medium settings). It also adds the benefit of SM 3.0 and costs around $160, which may or may not interest you. If you want a really fast card without SM 3.0, an X800Xl may be up your alley. It runs around $250 (for PCI-e at least).

The 7800gtx is undeniably the fastest card out ATM, but the price makes it a bit prohibitive. If I personaly had $600 to blow, I would wait for R520 (ATI's next gen) to come out and get some competition.

There are g70 512MB cards in the works I am sure (The 7800 Ultra will likely be 512 MB, but probably won't be released until ATI's cards come out).

Anyways, my advice is to get a 6600gt. Full DX 9.0 support (including SM 3.0). Great price, and will run any current game with decent settings.

Yeah i think i mite stick with my fx 5600 until theres some competion out with any luck they'll be some kinda price drop and i won't have to pay £400.

I bought a geforce 6800GT 256 a few months ago. The 6800gt is just amazing, it has all the features you probably want for programming for the next couple of years. (SM3.0, HDR, texture compresions, etc)

You can pick one from less than £200 from dabs. (although if all the speculations are right, i recommend you wait until the 7800GT is out-11 august-, then you can buy the 6800gt even cheaper!)

Personally I would not buy anything less than a 6800gt because the learning curve gets difficult. I guess you dont want to spend all you precious time optimizing an algorithm which probably be useless in 6 months, just for saving a few pounds.

PS. if you have the money for a geforce 7800, go for it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!