[4E4] Visual Studio Express Beta 2?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rattrap 18 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Iam using Visual Studio Express Beta 2, I am allowed to submit a entry using that IDE? Im not sure the the licence agreement says, that's why Im asking
Advertisement
Licensing issues aside, if you're using .NET then the framework version you ahve isn't supported for the contest, unless it becomes released properly before the contest ends.
If just a straight C++ app, I don't know about the license.
I don't think it matters that you are using VS 2005. As long as the runtime works with .NET 1.1 then you are good. And since C++ is unmanaged code it doesn't use the .NET runtime, you are good. If you choose to submit your source, I don't think it matters that the project files are from 2005. You could just hand edit the vcproj and solution to version 7.1, and 1.0. It will open just fine in 2003.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
You can't distribute anything made with the VS 2005 Beta. You could however compile your release version with the VC++ 2003 toolkit which you would be allowed to distribute.
Actually there were some licence changes involving distributing material from the VS2005 Beta. Most of the concern was involving the 2.0 beta version fo the dot net framework. You can't distribute the 2.0 beta framework, clients have to get it for themselves, and there is no guarenteed compatiblity with the final 2.0 framework.

But just to be safe, just download the 2003 toolkit and compile it if your mind isn't at ease.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement