• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Catafriggm

Application Failed to Initialize

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been encountering this odd error recently. If you create a process suspended with CreateProcess and CREATE_SUSPENDED, then try to attach a debugger to it (before resuming the thread), CSRSS will pop up with some message box about "This application has failed to initialize. Press OK to terminate the application." But when you press OK it breaks into the debugger, and after you resume the suspended thread it crashes from what appears to be some DLLs (like NTDLL) not getting initialized. As far as I can tell there's nothing wrong with the application (if you don't try to attach a debugger it doesn't seem to have any problems after you resume it). Does anybody know exactly what is happening, internally, and causing it to do this?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!