the best language fo games

Started by
16 comments, last by DavW 18 years, 8 months ago
what do you think is the best game programming language for making games c++ c C# visual basic python etc I think that managed languages are the easiest to use but c++ gives you the most options because that is what the operating system is created o
Advertisement
Operating Systems are mainly written in C (and Assembler of course), there isn't a lot of C++ involved.

Anyway, there is no "best" language, it depends on you and the game. I'd say you should choose the language you're most proficient with, this will make it possible for you to focus on creating the game and not on learning another language.
Quote:Original post by blood_vengeance
c++ gives you the most options
Incorrect. Every language has the capabilities to achieve the same as the next language, it's just writen a bit differently. It also depends on what API and libraries you're using and what's available. The industry seems to be extremely dependant on C++, but C# is always there. Arena Wars was a commercial game writen in C#.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Moving to For Beginners
There's no such thing as the best "game programming language". They are all equally good (except perhaps COBOL) for game programming, it's just a matter of how you use them. C++ is used most often because it's fast, structured, and a lot of people use it already.
The truth is that it does not matter which language you choose. In the end, you should be able to pick up any language quick enough. The trick is knowing when and how to use them.

As a beginner, you want to learn the basics of programming so whether or not you will end up using a language like C++ or Java is irrelevant at this point. Start with a good learning language like DarkBasic or python.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
There's no such thing as the best "game programming language". They are all equally good (except perhaps COBOL) for game programming, it's just a matter of how you use them. C++ is used most often because it's fast, structured, and a lot of people use it already.

Any modern language theat you know will do. C / C++ / Java / VB / C# (and on and on it goes).
I am a signature anti-virus. Don't spread me. I must die in peace.
Quote:Original post by Gaheris
Anyway, there is no "best" language, it depends on you and the game. I'd say you should choose the language you're most proficient with, this will make it possible for you to focus on creating the game and not on learning another language.

I second that. Even though most modern 3D games are written in C++, go with whatever you are comfortable with. Also, don't rush into a big project that you will never complete. (Maybe console-text-only-tic-tac-toe-clone)
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
What language is best for games?
Dunno, which tool is best for making a table?
Or which route should I follow on my bicycle?

Silly question. [wink]
I actually began with Basic. Then I moved on to C++ and picked it up fairly quick.

I'd reccomend Basic, or straight into C++. Python is good but I didn't like the way you had to follow their exact indentation. It makes for learning good programming conventions though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement