Started by
14 comments, last by smr 18 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Raxvan
A good c++ compiler is DJGPP
www.delorie.com/djgpp/

Seconded.
Advertisement
Usually I'm the only one pushing for Lcc-Win32

It's small and fast, has a nice IDE with code completion and lots of features like a built-in debugger, a resource editor, profiler and some other useful things. It also provides some "extensions" to ANSI-C, like operator overloading. I don't know how close it follows the C99 standards, but stdint and bool, aswell as C++ style comments are supported.

However, the best thing about it is that it takes about 5 minutes to download, install and start coding (if you're not on a dial-up connection that is). The whole package including the compiler,IDE, Win API docs and C standard library docs gives a total of 20 Mb and the Windows API documentations stands for about 13 of those, so if you can do without it you're home free with a download of less than 8 mb.

And, I almost forgot Open Watcom, but that's a totally different story [smile]. It's a nice compiler/IDE loaded with features but might be to much to grasp if you're a newbie + it doesn't include the Windows platform SDK, only a skeleton implementation of it.
first compiler for C i used was borlands, then I went on to djgpp- I loved that compiler, the first games I ever worked on were compilied with djgpp.
Bear in mind that DJGPP targets DOS, which is probably not what you want.

For win32, get the MingW package - which includes the same compiler as DJGPP, but it targets win32 executables rather than DOS ones, and can link with win32 libraries (which is of course necessary)

Mark
FAQ
I would download Microsoft's free C++ Compiler and Code::Blocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement